Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Quick Lit - July

Welcome to my summer posting, where I write almost exclusively about drinks, ice cream, and books.  I have plans for other posts but just so limited computer time, even this summer when we are mostly home.  I am already feeling the crunch of summer being over too soon, with school starting in less than a month, EVEN with an extra couple weeks of summer with Corona homeschool getting out earlier than our regular school year would have.  I am actually already sad thinking about sending our 2nd grader (!!!!!) off to school in a few weeks.  Although, I definitely am not up for more Corona homeschool, especially if we actually want him to learn something (we do).

So, I've still been reading in the past month, some next to the kiddie pool, most often in my house in the AC because we've had pretty steady temps in the 90°s which is good for some things (kiddie pool, lake trips, ice cream cones outside) but less for others (running, sleeping without AC).  I've had some really good reading weeks followed by a HORRIBLE reading week but it all balances out in the end.  And, like I said, kids go back to school in less than a month and then my time frees up a little (a little, I still have a 2 year old at home but he does take daily naps).

I'm on Goodreads and Instagram, both more than I should be.  Follow/friend as you see fit!  Linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy.  Only one other book post in the past month:


And now onto everything I've been reading!



Beach Read by Emily Henry
I really enjoyed this book.  First, the cover is a little confusing because it looks like a tropical or at least warm beach but the book takes place on the shores of Lake Michigan which I know, from experience, is not usually a super warm place.  Pretty, but cold.  It also makes the book look a little lighter than it is.  However, I still really enjoyed it.  Former college rival authors end up living next door for a season and they are both having writer's block.  One writes "chick lit", the other more serious lit.  They make a bet to write each other's genre while also educating each other on their kind of book.  There are also some serious-ish issues going on.  The cover looks light, that description sounds less so but it actually meets somewhere in the middle.  I bought this one from The Bookshelf, when we were still waiting for our library to reopen and I'm glad I own it.  Heads up for a little bit of open door romance.  4 Stars

The Bright Side of Going Dark by Kelly Harms
This was about influencers and living life mostly for an online audience and how real (not real) online lives are.  It certainly made me reconsider my own screentime and what I post.  But also a bit of fun fiction here too. 3.5 Stars


I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness by Austin Channing Brown
This was one I recently put on hold and was able to get a "skip the line" digital copy shortly after.  I definitely believe that black people and white people are often (mostly?) treated differently, at least here in the US and this was a mostly gentle explanation of that.  A lot of words getting thrown around recently are explained a little more.  There were parts that made me uncomfortable and a lot of parts that were eye opening, some that were heart breaking.  This was a good read. 4.5 Stars

The Secrets of Love Story Bridge by Phaedra Patrick
I have a lot of goodwill for this author, mainly because I really enjoyed The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper, which was one of my favorite reads of 2016.  None of her books since have been as good for me.  This involved bridges, single parenting, dating again after loss, and mundane jobs.  It was fine. 3 Stars

Ever Faithful by Karen Barnett
This seems to be the last in a 3 part "series" (none of the characters pop up in other books, best I can remember) about the early days at the national parks - this being set in Yellowstone about 100 years ago.  I liked the first and third in the series the best, probably because those are the parks of the three that I have been to.  Light Christian with some romance, these were fun and charming. 3.5 Stars

28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand
Elin Hilderbrand is a reliably good author for me and I look forward to her new release every summer.  I have a recurring calendar note to check to put it on hold in April so I can get it right away.  This one featured a woman on her deathbed who instructed her son to make a phone call.  A phone call to the husband of a woman who is presumed to be winning the next presidential election.  Why would his mother know him?  It was a little heart breaking an fun and I loved the "what were we talking about" sections at the start of each chapter, even though I think a few of items were off a few years. 4.25 Stars

The Kids Are in Bed: Finding Time for Yourself in the Chaos of Parenting by Rachel Bertsche
This reminded me of The Fringe Hours and along with some of Laura Vanderkam's time management books.  I think my reading log shows I make a decent amount of time for myself but there are still tweaks to make to our family routines and ways to improve upon this.  A good reminder to use that time well and to make sure you get it! 3.75 Stars

The Lies That Bind by Emily Giffin
Few of Emily Giffin's books have lived up to her original (Something Borrowed, although I also enjoy Where We Belong and Something Blue a lot).  I read this very fast but the characters make some really dumb choices and it was a bit manipulative concerning 9/11 and certain characters' reactions to it.  2.5 Stars

Bless the Bride by Rhys Bowen
I've slowed down with the Molly Murphy a bit this summer, there are so many books I want to read!  Molly is supposed to be giving up her detective practice before getting married but she takes on one last case that, surprise, almost gets her killed, again.  3 Stars

I Was Told it Would Get Easier by Abbi Waxman
This is a mother daughter tale, while beginning college tours and how they misunderstand each other.  I appreciate it was told from both perspectives so you could see how they each interpreted different scenarios.  I really enjoyed this one and am also dreading the day we have to do college tours too. 3.75 Stars

The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
This was a very timely story of black twin sisters who have skin light enough where one passes for white and hasn't even told her husband that she is Black.  Both girls ran away from their home in the south as teens and one comes back later and has to confront what happened to them both and how their lives split. It was so well written even if the content was a little tough at times.  Also, I was amused that in her first book there was a main-ish character named Luke (my oldest) and this one had a Sam (my second).  3.75 Stars

Love Lettering by Kate Clayborn
 A romance between a woman who hand letters and a man who caught a code she wrote into his wedding program, that the hand letterer thought his wedding was a "mistake".   I almost put this down a bunch of times through the first ~150 pages.  For a book that centered so heavily on hand lettering but then didn't show any in the book, it was hard to get into that world.  But I liked "seeing" different neighborhoods of NYC and reading about a more creative world than I mostly live in.  Heads up for a little bit of open door.  3.5 Stars

The Marriage Game by Sara Desai
A story about an Indian American girl who ends up sharing an office space with an Indian American guy.  One is kinda looking for an arranged marriage, the other isn't, they end up working together and you can probably guess how that ends up.  Set in San Francisco and it was nice reading about a place I'd like to visit but haven't!  Also a few open door scenes. 3.5 Stars


Read with Luke
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic by Betty MacDonald
I read this with my 7 year old and I definitely remember reading this one to myself as a kid.  He liked all of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's magic and I picked up a few parenting tips! 3.5 Stars 

That is what I'VE been reading; what have YOU been reading??

No comments: