Monday, July 13, 2020

Mixed Drink Monday: Strawberry Peach Wine Slushie



Slushies are good for hot summer days.  Or really, pretty much any day.  I have gotten a frozen coke when the temp was below 0°F and it was still enjoyable even if I was pretty much frozen myself.  But, generally, slushies are best enjoyed in the summer when the temp is threatened to melt it faster than you can consume said slushy and you really dream of being frozen yourself.

We had these on a very hot weekend at the lake when the idea of being frozen was appealing.  We could have solved that just by getting in the water because it was rather chilly (this was early in the season!) but also, having a slushy helped.  These are just the right amount of alcohol for me - mostly masked by the fruit but still a hint of it.  Basically, high in fruit (or juice, depending on the drink) and low(er) in alcohol.

The two-toned drink was a nice effect that really isn't hard, especially if you don't bother cleaning out the blender between them (and who would really do that when the drink is all going the same place?  I would clean out the blender between making alcoholic drinks for adults and non-alcoholic drinks for kids.)  I don't drink much wine but I could reconsider that with these.


Three years ago: Raspberry Margarita
Four years ago: Pineapple Cooler
Five years ago: Raspberry Oatmeal Smoothies

(Three of the previous six summers I did this, I skipped posting a drink recipe for this week, I have no idea why and find it strange that it happened 3 different years!)


Strawberry Peach Wine Slushie
yield: 2 generous drinks
Ingredients
-½ bottle (750mL total, 375mL used here) wine

-2+ cups of frozen fruit - divided if you want the two tone.  We used an overflowing cup each of strawberries and peaches
-2 cups ice

Directions
Blend ¼ bottle of wine with half the fruit (pick a color!) and half the ice.  Pour into glasses.  Blend the other ¼ bottle of wine with the remaining half of fruit and half of wine.  Pour on top of the first layer.  Enjoy!


Source: Slightly modified from The Happy Housie
____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page

No comments: