Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Thoughts About the Election (I KNOW)

I know what all Americans are looking for, 3 weeks before the election, are more thoughts on our upcoming Presidental election.  I get that.  It's hard to escape talk or even thoughts of it, seeing as I see a couple dozen yard signs when I'm out running, usually prime "clear my head" time.  (I should try to count if I see more election signs or houses decorated for Halloween...it's probably pretty close, people are SERIOUS about Halloween decorating around here I guess). 

I don't want to talk about specific politics because I really feel those conversations are best held in person when it's easier to see emotion and tone not just people commenting back and forth on the internet.  The reason I always hear for people quitting Facebook is because of people talking politics.  There's a lot of conversations (most?) that are best held not over screens.  Except that over screen is certainly an easier and, in these pandemic times, usually a healthier option.  Although, has anyone's mind EVER been changed by a Facebook comment thread?  I'm guessing not.

I have heard more people declare this election who they are voting for than I remember in years past.  Maybe because "this is the most important election of our lives" until 4 years from now when that will be "the most important election of our times" and so forth, every 4 years for eternity.  I don't always appreciate hearing who people are voting for because I either think "Yes! We (at least on this) agree." or "I liked you better before I knew who you planned to vote for."  

It so happened that last week I heard who some people I follow on the internet are voting for.  It initially made me a bit upset and like I wanted to block all their content from my life.  I can't say this is the most rational or healthiest thought I've had.  But then I started thinking about it more.  I don't want to live in an echo chamber.  I want to hear (reasonably thoughtful and reasonably calm) opinions on both sides.  I don't want to only listen to people who agree with me.  That's not a healthy way to live.  Our politics here in America have gotten increasingly divided over the years when, often, it feels like we are disagreeing just for the sake of disagreeing.  Really, both "sides" often want the same result but differ on how to get there.  And we can never hope for a government that works together better than ours currently seems to if nobody is listening to each other.

(Don't even get me started on a whole host of rational inconsistencies that I see on both sides - claiming one thing but not following that train of thought all the way through, picking and choosing which parts to agree with - specifically related to "I believe in science" and parts of the pro-life movement.)

I try to get my news from a variety of sources and mostly only talk it over with my husband, occasionally other family members or friends.  And I don't think Matt & I get any news from the same sources so it helps when we discuss what we've each heard and try to suss out the truth/actual news from what we've both heard.  It's so hard to get the "real" news, unbiased news but we try.

I have voted in every November election since I was 18 (I think I missed one or two primaries being at college).  I know who I am voting for.  No candidate is ever going to be perfect, no fully human person will be.  God Bless America.

No comments: