Tuesday, January 26, 2021

{20} Favorite Picture Books We Read in 2020

There are only a few things that I feel I can really speak with some authority on.  One of those is picture books.  I've talked before about how I read a lot of books to my boys, thank you library!  I screw up plenty of parenting things but I do read to them a lot.  A LOT.  We added 900 books to Luke's total in 2020 and 1200 to Sam's (Sam's mostly had more added since I had previously logged many of those for Luke).  That doesn't include all the rereading and re-rereading (when Sam likes a book we can read it multiple times a day for weeks).  We usually read together 6 days a week, sometimes 7 (I aim for every day but schedules don't always allow it.) and knock through a lot of books in a year.  

In the spirit of my Favorite {Grown-Up} Reads of 2020 list, I attempted to round up 20 favorite picture books we read in 2020.  Many of these were published in 2020 and last year was the first time we read any that are older.  There are SO MANY good picture books all the time and I know we had to have missed some worthwhile ones but these are all one we really enjoyed!  (My initial list for this post was 65...)  And I probably read each of them multiple times!

I didn't purposely set out to copy many of the ones I've posted on Instagram under my #dianareadskidbooks hashtag but I know some of these have been posted there (or will be).  I also avoided anything holiday specific although there are some more seasonal ones in here.  

Here we go, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER!

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, links for which are included within this post, at no additional cost to you.  Thanks for helping support this blog!   Of course, utilize the library or shop used or from an independent bookstore if you prefer!

The Box Turtle by Vanessa Roeder
A sweet story about a box turtle (which is a type of turtle I still can't identify correctly at the lake) who doesn't have a shell so with his group of buddies he sets out to find a replacement.

The Thank You Book by Mary Lyn Ray, illustrated by Stephanie Graegin
This was a new find for us this past November and one I bought almost immediately.  Just a reminder of all the ways and things we can be thankful for in any given day.  And Stephanie Graegin is one of my favorite illustrators, and not just because she spent time living in my city!

Jabari Tries by Gaia Cornwall
Jabari Jumps is one of my all-time favorite picture books that I finally bought our own copy of last year.  We were eagerly waiting the second Jabari book and it was another sweet story of perseverance and not giving up.  Lessons we all need reminded of!

Pluto Gets the Call by Adam Rex, illustrated by Laurie Keller
We've read a lot of outer space books and the boys especially liked this one, about Pluto getting the call that it is no longer a planet.  Pluto is sometimes Luke's favorite planet besides Earth so he especially liked this.  Also, the planets with human characteristics and feelings just amuses me to no end.

Ohana Means Family by Ilima Loomis, illustrated by Kenard Pak
I appreciate Hawaii and their culture and since I won't be taking my kids there anytime soon (expensive, pandemic), this was a good introduction for them.  All about the land and work and food that goes into their family celebration.  Also, Kenard Pak is another of my favorite illustrators.

Ocean! Waves for All by Stacy McAnulty, illustrated by David Litchfield
This is one of our favorite series, each focusing on a different part of our...environment? World?  The others that are out are Sun, Earth, and Moon with Mars coming later this year.  Anyways, just like I like personified planet, I also like the Ocean talking and telling us about itself.  The rare picture book we bought sight unread!

Saturday by Oge Mora
A sweet story of a mother and daughter who really enjoy their Saturdays together (don't we all?)

From a Small Seed: The Story of Eliza Hamilton by Camille Andros, illustrated by Tessa Blackham
OF COURSE, I was going to find ways to sneak my interest in Hamilton into books I was reading to the boys.  Eliza was a force unto herself (which I am reminded of every time Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story from the musical plays on my phone (which is semi-often now since it's on my New Year playlist.)).  This was a nice, kid-friendly, condensed summary.

School's First Day of School by Adam Rex, illustrated by Christian Robinson
We didn't send a kid off for their first year of school this year but I still really liked this book about a school building that is nervous for it's first day and how it will be, being full of kids.  I will definitely be rereading this to Sam when the time comes to send him to school (that's waaaay too soon!  My baby!)

Lola Dutch When I Grow Up by Kenneth Wright, illustrated by Sarah Jane Wright
This is the third Lola Dutch book and my favorite.  Lola Dutch just doesn't know what she wants to be when she grows up.  Or, she knows but has too many possibilities.  The animals she lives (??) with are supportive of each of her whims, it's just so charming. 

Down Under the Pier by Nell Cross Beckerman, illustrated by Rachell Sumpter
There is plenty of fun stuff going on above the pier with a ferris wheel and arcade but these kids find a lot of (free) fun under the pier where they are creatures and adventures to be had.  Sweet reminder of letting kids make their own fun. 

Turtle and Tortoise Are Not Friends by Mike Reiss, illustrated by Ashley Spires
Turtle and Tortoise might share the same pen at the London zoo but they are NOT friends.  And they spend a whole lot of years NOT speaking to each other over some disagreement they don't even remember.  Hard to ignore someone you share a small space with!  I liked the changing London skyline behind them over the years too.

Harlem Grown: How One Idea Transformed a Neighborhood by Tony Hillery, illustrated by Jessie Hartland
The true story of how an abandoned lot in Harlem was transformed into a community garden and then that idea spread throughout the neighborhood.  Makes me think I should be better at managing my own garden but really appreciated the work these people did to make real improvement to their space. 

Over and Under the Rainforest by Kate Messner, illustrated by Christopher Silas Neal
Another series we really love, this one taking on different parts of the rain forest.  I've never been to a rain forest, other than the dome at the zoo so this was fascinating and gorgeous. 

Izzy and Frank by Katrina Lehman, illustrated by Sophie Beer
I loved this story of redheaded Izzy who lives in a lighthouse with her friend, Frank the seagull, for company.  Then her family moves out of the lighthouse and Izzy misses her home but especially Frank. I loved the colors and pictures in this one especially!

Dusk Explorers by Lindsay Leslie, illustrated by Ellen Rooney
This book reminded me so much of my childhood, having parties for whatever reason at my parents' house, ones that stretched all the way into the evening and all the kids would be running around in the dark.  Playing Ghost in the Graveyard and catching lightning bugs and having that magic feeling of being up past bedtime.  It helped remind me of what I want my boys' childhoods to look like.

Malala's Magic Pencil by Malala Yousafzai, illustrated by Kerascoet
I knew of Malala before this book and knew her story had something to do with getting an education when it was difficult.  This was her story told beautifully and be her.  I loved sharing it with my boys.

The Remember Balloons by Jessie Oliveros, illustrated by Dana Wulfekotte
This is the story of a young boy and her grandfather and the memories that they share.  When the story starts the boy and his grandfather share many and the grandfather also tells many of his stories of his own childhood.  Then, the boys notices that his grandfather slowly starts losing his balloons, he has fewer stories to share.  It almost made me cry, thinking of my own beloved grandparents and how their legacy lives on through the stories we tell about them.  

Happy Right Now by Julie Berry, illustrated by Holly Hatam
We read this story in the spring, at the peak of our initial lockdown.  Some days were a struggle to find the happy.  This story came just when we needed it, a reminder that there is always something to be happy about.  

A Boy Like You by Frank Murphy, illustrated by Kayla Harren
I love reading this one to my boys (we've had it from the library for many months now), a reminder that we are all unique and that the world needs a boy just like each of them, their own unique traits and personalities.  The world needs us all.  (There is also a A Girl Like You version that I haven't read but my sister with daughters did rate very favorably!)

I'd love to hear any recent-ish favorites you may have!  Always looking to add more to my list!

No comments: