Friday, July 30, 2021

Things I Like - July

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, links for which are included within this post, at no additional cost to you.  Thanks for helping support this blog!

1) In the Heights
It was very lucky for me that HBO Max released this on their streaming service within the same month as the Friends Reunion because while I definitely didn't try to use my sister's password for a free HBO Max trial via Hulu and then not figure it out and get frustrated and make a 10pm impulsive decision to just pay for a month of HBO Max...I'm not saying that didn't not happened but we did end up paying $15 for a month of HBO Max.  WHICH worked out for me because In the Heights was released within that month and I knew I wanted to see it so I prioritized getting it in before I had to cancel it.  And I did watch it, over 3-4 sittings.  Then I liked it enough that I kept going back and rewatching certain musical numbers every day until I, reluctantly, had to cancel our subscription.  

You all, I loved it.  I really liked Hamilton last summer too but I like In the Heights even more.  For the most part, the In the Heights characters are a lot more likeable than most of the people in Hamilton and you rooted for these people (ITH has no duel, much less two to the death, there's no cheating and no slavery in this one either) and two central romance storylines.  Hamilton is much more "how America was founded" than romance based.  And some of the musical numbers they pull off in ITH are just incredible.  The culture was just so alive and it was a joy to share in for 2.25ish hours.  You can see the first 8 minutes of it here.  Unfortunately, it's not on HBO Max anymore but I would definitely check out/stream/however people watch movies in this day and age when it is released those ways.

2) Old Navy Luxe Tank Tops
I bought one of these last summer and then wore it A LOT and then bought two more this summer, which I have also been wearing A LOT.  I specifically own this green one (wearing it as I type this) and a navy with silver stars one (that I, of course, wore on the 4th) that is no longer on the site.  The arm holes are plenty high so no bra peaking out, the neck is higher so that I can lean over to get library books to do anything with kids and I'm no flashing anyone.  They are super comfortable and I wear them nearly constantly.  

3) Target Bracelets
This is many months now I have posted about my Easter gifts, you all, I did a really good job picking those out for myself.  I asked for these bracelets and now have become a bracelet person.  I wear these or other ones I bought on a trip 5 years ago pretty much every time we go to Mass or I go to work or we go anywhere even slightly fancy.  These are very cute and I've already gotten $13 of wear out of them!

4) Overcast App
About a month ago I was just fed up with the Apple Podcast app that I had been using the whole 5 years I've been listening to podcasts.  They just kept doing updates that made me keep re-figuring the whole thing out and then older episodes that I just hadn't gotten to listening yet would disappear.  I had enough of trying to figure out ANOTHER update and downloaded Overcast on a whim.  I had heard podcasters talk about it and was willing to try it.  Now I'm never going back.  This doesn't lose my episodes AND, most importantly, I can reorder my listening queue without starting from scratch.  On the native podcast app, when new episodes would download and I wanted to listen to one of those next, I'd have to re set-up the whole queue.  Now I have a playlist where all new episodes go and I rearrange the order constantly.  And I never lose the previous order.  It's amazing.  And it shows the length of all episodes so I can easily prioritize by length.  AND I've switched to listening to everything sped up, about 1.33x speed, 1.5x for some (which you can customize my podcast).  It's still at a conversational speed and they don't sound crazy.  It really helps and I highly recommend the app.


5) Sticky Fly Traps

This is one of the least glamorous things I have ever posted about but they have come in VERY handy.  About mid-July flies decide to move into our house.  It's super gross and annoying and despite all of our best efforts we don't know why or where or how.  SO, last year I bought these fly traps and they have been wonderful, if slightly gross.  I put them on windows, mainly the porch and the basement and the flies get stuck and then die.  It was disgusting to see how many flies would get stuck to them but they worked and now we still get the occasional one, it's not the countless ones we had (especially in the basement).  Just peel off your window and throw away when full.  The ones in the basement stayed sticky for a year and then they were FILLED UP and I finally threw them away.  Gross, I KNOW and I wish I didn't have to have experience with these but if you have a similar problem they are the best solution I have found.

What have YOU been liking lately?

No comments: