Tuesday, July 27, 2021

ICOTW: Lime Granita

 


We have reached the end of a month of (4) ice cream (ish) posts.  I wanted to end with another popsicle recipe but then I didn't have enough available molds to make any recipe I found.  I wanted something other than a churned ice cream recipe since those have equipment requirements.  So, a granita it was!

What is a granita?  That's a great question.  I've only made one other one that, strangely, posted 6 years ago this week. They remind me of a sno-cone except made at home and without a sno-cone machine.  They are pretty forgiving and simple, few ingredients and not a lot of time.  They are very refreshing and are perfect for a hot summer day.  You all, I don't know why I haven't been making more of these.

This is a lime version, largely because I had limes in my fridge and the recipe bookmarked in the cookbook.  (Although I also pulled out last week's ice cream just with the contents of my fridge/freezer).  The cookbook mentions layering granitas on top of ice cream or under whipped cream, neither of which I did.  I just ate it straight.  These are so light that while they make a decent volume it's not a lot of servings.  Which is fine because they are also so easy to make that I don't feel like work is wasted if a whole batch is consumed by our family for one dessert!  

If you are looking for a refreshing treat in these hot days of summer, give this a try!

One year ago: Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
Two years ago: Summer Fruit Crisp Ice Cream Bars
Three years ago: Coconut Pineapple Sorbet
Four years ago: Blackberry Sweet Cream Ice Cream
Five years ago: Raspberry Pineapple Sorbet
Six years ago: Lemon Granita

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, links for which are included within this post, at no additional cost to you.  Thanks for helping support this blog!   Of course, utilize the library or shop used or from an independent bookstore, if you prefer!  

 

Lime Granita
yield: about 1 quart
Ingredients

-3 cups water
-1 cup sugar
-zest of 2 limes (save the limes to juice)
-1 cup of lime juice (about 12 limes, or as many limes as you have and then topped off with the bottled juice)

Directions
In a medium saucepan combine ½ cup of water with the sugar and lime zest over medium heat, stirring frequently.  When the sugar is completely dissolved remove from heat and stir in the remaining 2½ cups of water.  Let come to room temperature and then chill in fridge for ~2 hours.

Stir together the lime juice and sugar syrup and pour into a freezer safe dish (I used a 9x9 glass Pyrex).  Place in the freezer.  After about an hour, stir the granita, pulling the more frozen edges into the middle.  Place back in the freezer and check in another ~30 minutes, stirring again to pull the frozen edges in.  Repeat.  It will be "done" when you have nicely frozen crystals that look a little chunkier than a sno-cone.  If it ever freezes too solid (such as overnight) just leave on the counter for ~5-10 minutes until you can restir it.  

Enjoy!

Source: The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz (the #1 ice cream cookbook I recommend!)
__________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites!  

No comments: