Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Favorite {Grown-Up} Reads of 2022

This is maybe my favorite post to write of the year!  I LOVE looking back at all the books I've read, so many of them very enjoyable, and try to figure out which were my favorites.  My initial run through of my 4-5 star reads left me about 20 books to narrow down to 10 and even then, it was hard.  There are another handful that could have been pretty easily swapped out for the ones here!

Some factsL

  • 175 books for the year
  • 28 were rereads (16%)
  • 14 were read to Luke (many of which were rereads) (8%)
  • 2 were read to Sam (1%)
  • 31 are books we/I own (17.7%) 
  • 38 were non-fiction (22%)

I read much fewer books to Luke this year which means I read more books to myself, although I spent almost the exact same amount of time reading myself which is strange.  (Almost to the hour, exactly the same amount).  But really, a good year of reading.  Very few duds and mostly really enjoyed everything I read! 

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, links for which are included within this post, at no additional cost to you.  Thanks for helping support this blog!   Of course, utilize the library or shop used or from an independent bookstore, if you prefer!

A Place to Hang the Moon by Kate Albus
This was, hands down, my favorite read of the entire year.  It was A DELIGHT of a book, about 3 orphaned siblings looking for parents during World War II in England.  At the suggestion of their attorney, they sneak off to the countryside with the train loads of kids who left London for safety during the Blitz.  Except they don't have parents waiting in London for them to return, they are trying to find someone to love them forever.  They were the SWEETEST but not perfect and it takes them awhile to figure this out.  I keep recommending this to people and will continue to do so.  It's middle grade but I loved it in my late 30s.  Full review here!

Messy Minimalism: Realistic Strategies for the Rest of Us by Rachelle Crawford
Not the only minimalism book I read this year but it was my favorite.  She just has a delightful writing style that felt relatable and encouraging without being preachy.  It's a fine line to walk that many books don't do as well as this one!  It inspired me to get rid of more and keep working on simplifying both our possessions and our schedule.  Plus, Rachelle is a delightful IG follow with some humor and inspiration there too.  Great read if you are floundering in minimalism or just interested.

Every Summer After by Carley Fortune
I have a thing for childhood sweethearts even though that's not what Matt & I are (teenage sweethearts?).  This story SUCKED. ME. IN.  A young girl spends her summers at her parents' lake cottage where two boys live next door year round.  She just comes in the summer and they are nearly instant friends.  She becomes close to one of them and then SOMETHING happens.  The story flips between current day when they are adults and are seeing each other for the first time in years, and their childhood, going back to their meeting.  I LOVED IT.  

The Office BFFs: Tales of The Office from Two Best Friends Who Were There by Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsley
I knew I would like this and I did!  I've been listening to their Office Ladies podcast since the very beginning in fall 2019 and so when they announced their behind the scenes book, I knew I'd read it.  And it was just so much fun.  I haven't done a full rewatch of The Office since...2018 maybe?  Even though I was at one point caught up with rewatching the episodes as they recapped them (I'm still in the right season but quite a few episodes behind!).  But I've seen the episodes enough times that I know much of what they are referring to in the pod.  But this is about the book!  The Office is a classic and one of my top 5 of all time.  It was just fun to read about their time on the show and how their friendship developed through that.  

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center
I had a few Katherine Center books I read this year and it was hard to narrow down which I should pick for this list.  This one won over The Bodyguard, barely.  I read this in Texas because the story starts in Texas, of a disgraced firefighter (giving a man who assaulted her what he had coming, except maybe she shouldn't have done it on stage when getting an award) who moves to Boston to care for her ill mother.  She has to fit in at a new firehouse and there is another new recruit at the same time.  And there is fire.  Hard to put down, I really enjoy her books. 

The Power of Fun: How to Feel Alive Again by Catherine Price
It was somewhat accidentally that I picked FUN for my word of 2022 and then read this book early in the year.  It was a perfect accident.  Adults don't have enough real fun, scrolling social media and Netflix isn't true FUN and real fun might take some work but we need it.  A worthwhile read and I did a whole post on it back here!

Just Another Love Song by Kerry Winfrey
It is notable that nearly every book on my list, especially the fiction, I remember exactly where I was when I read it.  Two on this list I know I read in hotel room this year, in the office chair in a nook where the lights wouldn't keep the boys awake.  And this is one of them! (Finished it in the hours after a nephew's wedding and 10 hours in heels).  Kerry Winfrey has been reliably enjoyable for me but this is my favorite of hers.  Childhood sweethearts run back into each other in their small town, nearly a decade after they fell apart.  The town is charming, the characters felt real and relatable.  The whole thing was just so fun and I really enjoyed my time with them all!

Project 333: The Minimalist Fashion Challenge that Proves Less Really is So Much More by Courtney Carver
This book gave me A LOT to think about and it encouraged me not just to clean out my closet but also the kitchen!  And other parts of our house!  Actually, I got rid of more non-clothes items after reading this than I did clothes.  I haven't taken on the 333 challenge (only wearing 33 different clothing items for 3 months) but I keep intending to if I can get organized.  Even though I am perpetually getting rid of items in my closet/dresser, this made it look at it with fresh eyes and find even more that could go.  Definitely one I'd be interested in rereading again in a few months to gain some more motivation to keep going!

Nora Goes Off Script by Annabel Monaghan
I read more romance this year than probably any other year and this was one of my favorites.  Nora wrote a movie script based on her divorce and to make it authentic, part of the movie is shooting in her backyard studio.  Which then leads to her leading man living in said studio, the man playing the part of her ex-husband.  Yes, things get a little weird.  But it was so fun and such a delight to pick up. 

Carrie Soto is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid
This is a book that made me care about tennis this year and I normally don't care about that at all (except to see what the Princess of Wales wears to Wimbledon).  Taylor Jenkins Reid is a master at making you care about things you didn't think you would and characters that may be a bit unlikable.  I am always happy to pickup one of her books and see what she's dong next.

What did YOU really enjoy reading last year?

Favorite {Grown-Up} Reads of 2021
Favorite {Grown-Up} Reads of 2020
Favorite {Grown-Up} Reads of 2019
Favorite {Grown-Up} Reads of 2018

Favorite {Grown-Up} Reads of 2017
Favorite {Grown-Up} Reads of 2016
Favorite {Grown-Up} Reads of 2015


No comments: