Friday, October 24, 2014

My current favorite chocolate chip cookies

I haven't had much success in the cookie making department besides Kool-Aid cookies.  I just could never get most cookies, especially chocolate chip cookies, to turn out pretty looking.  Sure they would be edible (you'd have to screw them up pretty bad not to be) but never pretty.  I feel like I have finally succeeded with these cookies.  These are now my go-to chocolate chip cookie, because that's really something everyone needs to have.  They were also pretty quick to mix up and get in the oven, something I can really appreciate when it comes to cookie emergencies.  Or a fussy toddler.  Or a fussy toddler having a cookie emergency.  


Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
yield: about 28 cookies
Ingredients
2 cups + 2TB flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 TB unsalted butter, melted and cooled to warm
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg +  1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Directions
1) Preheat oven to 325° and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.  

2) Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.  Whisk together.

3) In the bowl of an electric mixer mix the butter and sugars until combined.  Beat in egg, yolk, and vanilla until combined.  Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed just until combined.  Slowly stir in the chocolate chips.  (I've found my cookies come out a little better if I refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes before baking, but they are still delicious without!)

4) Roll a scant 1/3 cup of dough into a ball.  Break the ball in half and place the rounded part of the ball on the cookie sheet, rough side up (you'll get two cookies from each ball).  Leave plenty of space between ball halves.  Bake, rotating cookie sheets halfway through, until cookies are golden brown and starting to harden at the edges (but still soft in the center).  About 16 minutes. 

5) Cool on cookie sheets until cookies can be moved without breaking.  Finish cooling on a wire rack.

*I made my cookies a little smaller than the original recipe so I ended up with three cookie sheets worth but can only fit 2 in the oven at a time.  Either use a 3rd sheet or reuse a sheet & paper.



source

No comments: