Thursday, July 2, 2015

ICOTW: clean out the freezer popsicles

I realized that the popsicles I make for Luke are pretty much frozen smoothies.  Therefore, I can just follow my fall-back smoothie plan and just throw in whatever we happen to have in the fridge and freezer.  We do not keep him away from sugar all together but I like keeping his snacks fairly healthy, especially because he seems to like these just as much as anything filled with sugar.  I have 3 different kinds of popsicle molds, all of which go against my urge to simplfy BUT...there are many times all of them are being used AND 2 sets we got for free so...I am ok with them.  I might need reminded of that though in the dead of winter, when we are months from popsicle season!

Clean Out the Freezer Popsicles
yield: I got 14 popsicles, depends on mold size
Ingredients:
-1 1/2 cups yogurt
-1 banana
-1 cup frozen peaches (sliced)
-1 cup frozen strawberries
-1/2 cup milk
-1 1/2 TB honey

Directions:
Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth.  Pour into molds and freeze until solid.

Luke's Thoughts:
He loved them.  He got one as a reward for finishing his supper this week (including some chicken he spit out twice before we actually got him to swallow it) and it got him to finish his plate for the first time in waaaaay too long (he's not a good eater).   And he considered it a treat even though they are pretty much 100% healthy!  Win win win!  He devoured it and asked for another.  He wanted me to take a bite and it was good!  None of the bitterness of the last frozen yogurt popsicles we tried and creamy with the yogurt and milk.  Definitely going to be using these as supper finishing bribes very often. 


_____________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites!

No comments: