Thursday, June 4, 2015

ICOTW: Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles

I feel like we are in a pretty good routine with our Friday smoothies.  We've been doing it about 2 months and haven't missed a week since.  When I tell Luke it's almost special treat time he immediately knows what I'm talking about and starts talking about "pressing buttons" (on the blender, his official job).

It's always hard to start a new routine so I'm pretty excited we are two for two on this Ice Cream of the Week thing.  I mixed these up before even cleaning out the blender from the smoothies, basically the same ingredients or close enough that it didn't matter.

Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles
yield: 4-6 popsicle, depending on mold size.  We got 5.

Ingredients:
-2 cups coarsely chopped strawberries
-1/4 c. greek or homemade yogurt
-1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
-1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.  Pour into molds, add sticks, and freeze until solid!

My Thoughts:
These were incredibly easy to mix up.  Hulling and chopping strawberries only took a few minutes, about 20 seconds in the blender, and then pour into molds.  Easy peasy.  We had them in the freezer about 24 hours before we ate them although I'm sure they were ready way before that.  The consistency on these was great, not too icy but a pretty smooth popsicle.  They are pretty healthy (or at least not unhealthy).  Matt and I weren't crazy about the flavor though.  Maybe strawberries aren't quite in season enough here?  They were perfectly edible but not something I'd be rushing to make again for my sake.  BUT Luke loved them.  He did really well with his first popsicle on a stick and only made a little mess.  I would definitely make these again to have a healthier popsicle option for him on hot summer days.  Plus, kept him busy a good 20 minutes.  We were eating them on the porch because of rain but after a hot summer day in the backyard, I'd have no problem letting him have one these. 

Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles

_____________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites!

No comments: