Wednesday, October 28, 2015

DIY: Coconut Oil Face Scrub

Yesterday I shared my mostly DIY nightly face wash routine.  That's a fairly recent change but has been working well so far.  In the shower I've been using this Coconut Oil face scrub for 2 1/2 years and really like it.  It's super easy to make up, one batch lasts a long time, it's less expensive than store bought ones I've tried, and I love the results.  After I used it for the first time I couldn't stop petting my face all day.  Weird but true.  It was so soft!! 



Coconut Oil Brown Sugar Face Scrub
Ingredients
Coconut Oil (I buy from iHerb, enough jars at a time to get the volume discount and free shipping)
Brown Sugar
Baking Soda

Directions
1) You'll need somewhere to put half the coconut oil.  I forget what I used originally but now I just use one of the coconut oil containers.  One just emptied or the reminder half.  These are a great size for sticking fingers in and don't have any sharp edges.  Basically you want about half the oil to start.  Microwave for a few seconds if it's not stir-able (it needs a rather high temp, almost 80° to be a full liquid).
2) Take about half the coconut oil, maybe 3TB of brown sugar and 3tsp of baking soda.  Stir it all together with your finger.  If it doesn't feel gritty enough add more brown sugar.  I like a good exfoliation so I add in plenty of brown sugar.  I never measure, just keep adding it until it feels right.  Store in the shower.

To use I just scoop some up with my fingers and put on my face, leaving it there a few minutes/my whole shower.  If it's too cold (winter) then it usually works a little better to use a few minutes into my shower when the bathroom has warmed up a bit.

I used to think that the brown sugar wasn't doing much exfoliation because I was using a Buf-Puf* about once a week (which I still do).  Then I didn't take my scrub with me to the lake a few times this summer for long weekends and I could definitely tell a difference in my skin.  This exfoliates and leaves my skin much softer than anything else I've used.  I haven't converted Matt to this yet but I am fully sold!

*We did not pay nearly $40 for a 40 pack of these, closer to $4 when we stocked up with 10 boxes about 7 years ago.  I know they are single use and I write all the time about being against that...but since we use them at least twice before tossing and only about once a week at that...I don't feel too horrible about this.

No comments: