Thursday, August 11, 2016

Blackberry Grilled Chicken Sandwiches

I haven't posted too many meal recipes because I think I'm a little self conscious about how healthy (or not) we eat.  (As of this writing I've posted a whole 8...seen here, I am slowly updating...why did I let myself get so far behind???)  I will never claim we are the healthiest of eaters and we follow no specific gluten/nut/dairy/whatever else free diet.  We limit our dining out, I try to make much of what we make from scratch, and we try to steer clear of the really junky stuff...most of the time (I say that the day after I bought 5 bags of chips at Aldi...).  We are starting to eat more vegetables but probably still not as many as we should.  We are trying and sometimes we succeed and sometimes we don't.  Sometimes our suppers are healthier than others.  That's just how it goes!  And probably how it goes for most people!

But this one I think qualifies as pretty healthy, by any standards!  You fit all 5 food groups (do we still have 5 food groups? Or did the my plate eliminate those??) in one sandwich and a pretty tasty one at that.  We recently had it for the first time this summer and I was immediately wondering why we weren't eating it more often!  It's easy to prep and delicious to eat.  Plus, grilling out followed by picnic table dining on a beautiful summer evening is pretty great.


Blackberry Grilled Chicken Sandwiches
yield: about 4 servings, depending on how much chicken you grill
Ingredients
-6oz fresh blackberries
-2 tsp apple cider vinegar
-2 tsp olive oil
-1 tsp honey
-2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
-hamburger buns
-~1 cup spinach leaves or other greens
-spreadable cream cheese

Directions
1) Preheat the oven to 400°.  Mix together the blackberries, vinegar, olive oil, and honey in a small bowl.  Lightly mash the blackberries but keep them largely intact.  Set aside.
2) Unless you are starting with very thin pieces, butterfly the chicken breasts into two pieces.  Cook in your preferred manner (Matt grilled these outside but we've also cooked them in a pan on the stove too.) 
3) Meanwhile, spread one half of the bun with cream cheese and lay both halves, open face, on a baking sheet.  Layer some greens on the other half of the bun and place sheet in the oven for a few minutes, until cream cheese is very soft and buns are lightly toasted.   (You can skip this whole toasting step if you want...we did this time but then I wished the buns were a little toasted.)
4) To finish assembling, place one grilled chicken breast piece on each bun and top with a fairly generous spoonful of blackberries.  Top with the other bun half and enjoy!


Source: modified from Annie's Eats

No comments: