Wednesday, June 28, 2017

ICOTW: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream


This Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream should be pretty straight forward.  It's no stovetop, no churn!  Piece of cake!  I was mixing it up on a rainy afternoon and put the heavy cream in the mixer bowl to be beaten for the recommended five minutes.  Then I walked away to measure for a possible new couch (maybe we're finally going to order one after 3+ months without?).  Less than three minutes after starting the mixer I heard a strange sound.  It sounded sloshy.  Whipping cream might sound sloshy in the beginning but it get whipped pretty quick and then should be light and fluffy.

I had accidentally made butter.

I've whipped heavy cream countless times, mostly for frostings, sometimes homemade whipped cream.  I've never made butter (I mean, I have made homemade butter before but it was back in my homeschool days and that was done by shaking a jar full of heavy cream and a marble and that butter was delicious.).  Not this time.  This time I made butter.

Oops.

That lead to frantic googling to figure out what the heck to do with my butter because I wasn't going to let that $2.50 of heavy cream go to waste.  So I drained the buttermilk (why do I all of a sudden not know what to do with buttermilk but when I need it I don't have it?) and washed the butter and now have some homemade butter in the fridge.

Luckily, I also had an extra container of heavy cream however there was something wrong with the consistency.  It had frozen and didn't seem to go back to the regular consistency when thawed.  Our fridge light has been on and off for years and Luke seems to think the solution to fixing it is to adjust the temperature dial as cold as it can go and sometimes it's a day (and a very cold glass of milk) before we notice and adjust it back. (This also doesn't fix the light but it's the one thing you can turn or press so he thinks it helps.  Although the light is currently working so maybe that's what did it.)  This carton of heavy cream happened to be in the back of the fridge and it froze but it was also my only option and I was set on making this ice cream on that day and I forged ahead.

I would not recommend using heavy cream that had been frozen and thawed.  BUT, other than accidentally making butter and working with less than ideal heavy cream, this recipe was pretty easy and is really delicious.  We've all really enjoyed it for dessert, even Matt who has always claimed not to like cookie dough ice cream.  Homemade is almost always better.  This one has been a hit.


Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
yield: about 1 quart
Ingredients
Cookie Dough


-¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
-¼ cup brown sugar, packed
-2 TB sugar
-½ tsp vanilla
-2 TB milk
-¼ tsp salt
-¾ - 1 cup flour
-6 TB mini chocolate chips

Ice Cream
-2 cups heavy whipping cream
-1 (14) ounce can sweetened condensed milk
-2 tsp vanilla

-6 TB mini chocolate chips

Directions
To make the cookie dough:
1) Cream the butter and sugars together on high speed until light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla and milk on low speed until all combined.  In a separate small bowl, stir together the salt and ¾ cup flour and then slowly add to the butter.  Add an additional tablespoon of flour if the dough is too sticky.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

2) Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper (or a great time to use a cereal bag!) and press the cookie dough into a layer about ¼ inch thick.  Freeze for at least 30 minutes.

To make the ice cream:
3) Put the heavy cream in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium-high speed for a FEW minutes (2 and then keep an eye on it!), until soft peaks form.  Add the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla on low speed.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

To assemble:
4) Remove the dough from the freezer and chop into bite sized pieces.  (I had to put mine back in the freezer for a few minutes because it was getting soft before I was done chopping.)   Put about 1/3 of the ice cream in the bottom of a freezer container.  Top with 1/3 of the cookie dough.  Repeat, ice cream, cookie dough, ice cream, and ending with cookie dough, gently mixing together the layers as you go.

5) Freeze at least 4 hours or overnight.  You may need to let sit on the counter for a few minutes before it is scoopable!



Source: slightly modified from Like Mother Like Daughter

___________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 

No comments: