Monday, July 24, 2017

Mixed Drink Monday: Caribbean Margarita

Sometimes I write these drink posts a week or two after actually making the drink.  With a busy summer with lots of weddings and other events, I'm not always able to make a drink every weekend (example: cousin's rehearsal dinner on Friday (with drinks) followed immediately by our church festival beer tent (with beer) and then the wedding on Saturday (with drinks) which meant by Sunday...I wasn't feeling up to making a new drink, if you get what I'm saying..).  So I've gotten into the habit of double or tripling up on weekends without many other plans (i.e. lake weekends...I had one where I made 4).  Which means I have a ton of posts to write when I get back to my computer, weeks in advance, and with other posts to write and things to do (profile books to make, couch to order, vacation to book) the posts might not get written right away.  I need to start making notes.

BUT

Not this week.  This week, I'm writing immediately, while still feeling the affects if we are being honest (is it effect or affect?  I never remember...just like who and whom even though The Office tried to teach us that in a recent (season 4) episode we watched but I still don't know (or care) enough to learn the difference.  Maybe I'll get it when Luke learns it in school.)

Anyways, I enjoyed this lovely drink less than an hour ago while finishing a book and supervising pool time for Luke.  Supervising (inflatable) pool time with a good book ranks pretty high on my list of favorite stay-at-home Mom activities.  Really close to the top.  Luke gets to do something fun (play in the pool), he's outside (so not making a mess in the house,) and I get to read.  In the words of Michael Scott, it's a win win win.  (How many times can I reference The Office in this post?  We will see.)

I know I'm posting this in late July but I actually enjoyed this on the 4th of July Eve (so...July 3rd) which is kinda like Christmas Eve but without all the family obligations and gift buying and with much warmer weather so really, not like it at all except for being before a regular day off (for Matt).  So more like Thanksgiving Eve really, but warmer.

Nothing about this drink really says "AMERICA!" but it still is delicious and since I seem determined to try every flavor of margarita known to Pinterest (this is my 4th, this summer alone), and had all the ingredients on hand (SUPER important), this worked for 4th of July Eve.

It's a strong drink.  That might be obvious from my ramblings.  Or from reading the ingredient list.  But it was also really good and combines so many of my favorite summer flavors (short list: coconut and pineapple).  It tastes delicious, was easy to make (once my OJ concentrate melted enough) and went well with our brats, corn on the cob, and chips.  A delicious way to start the 4th of July celebrating.  Or summer celebrating.  Or end of summer celebrating for those poor souls with kids going back to school soon (you have my most sincere sympathies).

Need a taste of the Caribbean while in your Indiana backyard?  This will most definitely do.  Indiana backyard optional.

Notes: I found this drink to be rather small so I made a 1.5 serving for myself. Below is just one serving to keep the measurements a little easier.
Also, friendly weekly reminder that 2TB = 1 ounce (I measure almost all my drinks by the tablespoon.)


Caribbean Margarita
yield: one drink
Ingredients
-1 ounce coconut rum
-1 ounce tequila
-1/2 ounce triple sec
-1 ounce pineapple juice
-1 ounce OJ
-1 ounce margarita mix (I used this substitute - super easy!)
-ice
-salt for rimming

Directions
Rim your glass (you can use a lime wedge or just a little bit of water to wet the rim and then dip and turn into a plate or bowl or salt, I save the unused salt for next time.)

Stir together all ingredients in your glass and enjoy!

  
Source: slightly modified from Our Messy Table

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!  

No comments: