Monday, August 7, 2017

Mixed Drink Monday: Coconut Lemonade


 
There is something so quintessentially summer about lemonade.  You can certainly drink it year round but it seems best enjoyed when the temps are above 80°, preferably outside (especially preferably with a good book, but that might just be me.)

This isn't the first "squeeze a whole bunch of lemons to make lemonade" recipe I've posted this summer (Homemade Lemonade here) but the methods are different and this one has the added flavor of coconut.  Coconut is one of my favorites in the summer so when I saw a recipe for coconut lemonade I knew I was going to make it. 

This tastes like a cocktail without actually having alcohol (although I am wondering how it would taste with some coconut rum, I just haven't gotten to trying it) which is nice if you are abstaining for various reasons or just don't want to be drinking at 3pm while supervising pool time (no judgement).  It tastes like the best of summer, perfect for these lazy, hazy days. 

You do need to buy cream of coconut for this which I already had for making past drinks (most notable this, one of my favorites from this whole 70+ drink project) and it can be found in the alcohol aisle, near the mixers (but, again, contains no alcohol).

I enjoyed it.  Luke kept stealing my glass so I'm thinking he enjoyed it.  A win all around!


Coconut Lemonade
yield: one pitcher
Ingredients
Lemon Simple Syrup
-zest from one lemon
-1 cup sugar
-1 cup water

Lemonade
-juice from 6 lemons
-½ cup lemon simple syrup
-½ cup cream of coconut
-4 cups water

Directions
1) Zest one lemon and then set aside to juice with the other lemons.  Combine the lemon zest, water, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a boil, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and let cool.
2) Juice all the lemons into a liquid measuring cup.
3) Use a blender (regular or immersion) to mix up the cream of coconut (with itself) to make smoother.
4) Add the lemon juice, ½ cup of lemon simple syrup, and blended cream of coconut to your pitcher and stir.  Add the water, gradually, tasting as you go to ensure the flavor is right for you (don't add all the water if you reach a flavor you like before, or add more if it's too strong).  

Cheers!

Source: modified from Jillian Harris

 __________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!  

No comments: