Monday, July 7, 2014

Mixed Drinks Monday: strawberry coconut margarita & strawberry lemonade

4th of July weekend calls for patriotic drinks, yes?  Well these both feature strawberries which are red so...that counts.  And these were both pretty good.

Strawberry Coconut Margarita

This is my favorite mixed drink I've made so far this summer.  It tasted amazing and was easy to make, pretty much my main criteria. I was aiming for more of a frozen drink but didn't pull out my blender to crush ice and it turns out my immersion blender isn't the best at that but I was left with a creamy, smooth drink so it still turned out great.  The coconut is just strong enough to stand out but not over power the strawberries.  Since I have left over ingredients there is a good chance I will be making this one again before summer is over.

Ingredients: (for one margarita)



1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups sliced, fresh strawberries

1/4 cup* Triple Sec or Grand Mariner**
3/16 cup (or a shy 1/4 cup) tequila
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup coconut water
1/4 cup cream de coconut***
ice

Directions:
1) Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved.  Let cool.  Then blend with sliced strawberries and set aside.  This is strawberry simple syrup.
2) Either add ice to a glass or crush in the blender and then add to a glass.
3) Mix 5/16 (or a generous 1/4 cup) of the strawberry simple syrup with the Triple Sec, tequila, lime juice, coconut water, and cream de coconut either in a shaker or blender.  Shake/blend until smooth (if you shake it might take a bit to get the cream de coconut mixed in).  Add to glass of ice.
4) Garnish with strawberry and/or lime.


*I don't have a measuring cup that has 2 ounce increments so my math came up with 1/4 = 2 ounces.  If my math is wrong don't tell me and this tasted pretty great my way anyways.   
**Original recipe called for Grand Mariner which I discovered is quite expensive.  The guy at the liquor store told me Triple Sec is comparable and about half the price so I used that.  Use whichever fits in your budget.
***I bought mine at Walmart over a year ago.  I also recently saw at Target.  It's in alcohol aisle both places near the mixers and alcoholic drink mixes. 


Sparkling Strawberry Lemonade

It's hard to go wrong with strawberries and lemonade on the 4th of July but I thought these had a bit of a weird taste.  Might be because I was using up the rest of the sparkling water from last week's raspberry limeade.  It was still good though, I'd just recommend a fresh bottle of sparkling water.

Ingredients:
yield: 3-4 cups
1/2 heaping cup of sliced strawberries
1 TB sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 TB cold water
pinch of salt
1/2 cup very hot tap water
1/3 cup sugar
a shy 3/4 cup lemon juice
2 1/4 cup sparkling water

Directions:
1) Combine sliced strawberries, 1 TB sugar, 1/2 tsp lemon juice, cold water, and salt in a blender (I used my immersion) and blend until smooth.  Strain if strawberry seeds bother you (I did not).
2) Combine the hot water and 1/3 cup sugar in a pitcher and stir until the sugar is dissolved.  Add the lemon juice and sparkling water*, then the strawberry syrup from step 1.  Stir to combine all.
3) Serve immediately


Besides the slightly weird taste from week old sparkling water these were good.  Felt very patriotic for the 4th and a nice daytime treat while Luke napped.   Not my favorite drink so far but would be good for a small gathering or party as a festive, nonalcoholic option.

*To make ahead combine everything but the sparkling water, saving that for right before serving. 

strawberry coconut margarita
sparkling strawberry lemonade

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: