Thursday, September 13, 2018

Quick Lit - September

It's once again time to talk about what I've been reading lately!  We're still figuring out our new schedules now that school is in the mix and, even with only one child for ~7 hours a day, and one who takes two naps in that time, I'm not finding as much time to read!  I don't know how that's possible.  On the plus side, I feel much more caught up on most other areas of my life, so that is something. 

Linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy and I'm very active on Goodreads.  If you are there too then friend me!  I LOVE seeing what others are reading. 

One other book post in the past month:

Book Love: The Read Aloud Family


Now everything else I've read!





Not the Girls You're Looking For by Aminah Mae Safi
I did not really care for this book.  It's about a group of girlfriends in high school and all the drama they find in their lives.  I read a decent amount of YA but I just couldn't with these.  I didn't really like any of them and think they are the kinds of girls I would avoid if I went to high school with them.  If you are looking for a good book about an Indian teenage girl, read When Dimple Met Rishi, not this. 1.5 Stars

Girls' Night Out by Liz Fenton & Lisa Steinke
This is the story of 3 somewhat estranged girlfriends who go on a girls trip to Mexico and then one of them goes missing after a night out.  It's told from the perspective of each of the three, in flashbacks and in the time they are trying to find their missing friend.  It was ok.  Obviously a missing friend is bad but as a literary character, I just didn't care much what happened.  2.5 Stars


Charlotte Walsh Likes to Win by Jo Piazza
This book was a fun read.  Charlotte Walsh is running for a politicial office (now I forget which one, a senator I think?).  This follows all the behind the scenes drama of running her campaign and trying to keep her personal life sane.  I don't know much behind the scenes of politics and so this was a fascinating (fictional) look at it.  I wouldn't vote for Charlotte (or her opponent) but I really did like reading about her.  3.5 Stars


The Masterpiece by Fiona Davis
I really enjoyed this one, set in two time periods in Grand Central Station in New York City.  The first was when the station was at it's prime in the 1920s or 1930s.  The second when it had fallen into disrepair in the 1970s (right before Jackie O helped save it, and she makes an appearance).  We've visited Grand Central on most of our New York trips (most recently in May) and it was so interesting to read about it's past.  I have a thing for books set in New York but you don't have to have that and still enjoy this book if you enjoy historical fiction.  3.75 Stars

The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand
This was a reread and I enjoyed again.  Almost all of her books are perfect summer reads and this one I had read long enough ago that I forgot how it ended!  That's almost perfect reading - knowing you like a book but not knowing how it ends!  It's on Nantucket, about a group of 8 friends (4 married couples) and one couple drowns on their anniversary boat ride.  Everyone in the group has secrets and slowing putting them together, figuring out what happened, made for a great read.  3.5 Stars


What We Were Promised by Lucy Tan
This cover is one of my favorites lately.  It's so pretty!  This book is about a maid who works for a wealthy family in Shanghai.  The family is Chinese but just spent many years living in America.  The story flips viewpoints between members of the family and the maid, exploring their back stories and what led them to their lives now.  I was reading this around the time Crazy Rich Asians was coming to theaters and was often mixing the two in my head.  I haven't read many books about "rich Asians" (these two being about it) and so it was an interesting look.  3.25 Stars

One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
This is a YA murder mystery of sorts.  A group of 5 students are in detention together.  One of them runs a gossip site and has juicy info to post on the other 4 the next day.  Then he drops dead in detention.  The 4 with him are the obvious suspects.  What actually happened???  I don't read many mysteries and so maybe it was obvious way sooner than I caught on to what happened to the dead student.  These kids all had secrets, they all seem like they could be guilty.  I wanted to know what happened but also really made me glad I'm not in high school.  3 Stars

Get it Together!: An Interior Designer's Guide to Creating Your Best Life by Orlando Soria
I think this book went to the lake with me 4 times before I actually finished it, at least twice without even opening the cover.  I like design books, they are pretty and usually can pick up a few tips.  I had never heard of him before but Young House Love was talking about the book and I'm always up for book recommendations so I got it from the library.  But I just couldn't with his writing style.  I did read the whole book but there was A LOT of sarcasm and joking and I just wanted to see pretty pictures and get some inspiration.  It was fine but not for me.  2.5 Stars

Save the Date by Morgan Matson
This was a really fun, YA read.   Charlie (Charlotte) is the youngest of 5 siblings and her oldest sister is about to get married in the backyard of their childhood home, the one their parents are about to sell.  Their Mom has spent their entire childhood writing a syndicated comic strip chronically their lives and the strip is also ending the day after the wedding.  The whole book (besides the epilogue) takes place over the wedding weekend.  There is the brother who is slightly estranged from the family, the one who brought home a girlfriend none of them knew about, and the favorite older brother.  I loved their family dynamic and how much love they (mostly) had for each other.  I wouldn't mind reading either another book about the family OR more of the comic strip (there were a few sprinkled throughout the book).  I've been hit or miss with her past books but really enjoyed this one.  3.75 Stars

What have YOU been reading?  I really am curious.  When someone mentions they've been reading I immediately want to ask what.  So tell me!          

No comments: