Monday, May 27, 2019

Mixed Drink Monday: Sweet Tea Margarita


I'm back for another summer of drinks!  Or a partial summer of drinks.  Last summer I had all kinds of trouble finding the time to blog about the drinks I was making.  Making them, not a problem.  Drinking them, not a problem.  Computer time to edit pictures and write the post, definitely a problem.  So my plan for this summer is to alternate, ice cream one week, drink the next.  The downside (for me) to this is that I'll have a lot fewer drinks to make and ice cream to eat BUT I also always (mentally) bemoan how I'm so busy making new drinks that I don't have a chance to remake old favorites SO.  This solves both those problems.  Almost a month ago I went through and picked almost all my recipes for both for the summer so...hopefully I don't stumble upon anything great now.

SO, here we are, the start of another summer of drinks.  You'll see from a sampling of past posts below that margaritas are a favorite way to kick off the summer.  In this case, and a couple other years, it's because I make them for Cinqo which then turns into the first drink post of the summer.  I keep thinking I'm about out of margarita flavors to try but I still found a couple for this summer.  Thanks largely to this project, they have become one of my favorite summer drinks.

My real, year-round favorite drink may be sweet tea.  I love some good sweet tea.  It's not what I consume the most of (that would definitely be water) or even second most (probably milk) and I know it's barely healthier (if that) than drinking pop BUT...I do appreciate some, especially in the summer, especially especially on the porch with a book.  As of this writing, I have yet to make sun tea because...weather.  But I did find caffeine-free, cold brew tea bags at Target which I am enjoying in the mean time. 

Here's why I like sweet tea: it's refreshing, it's sweet, it tastes good.

Here's why I like margaritas: they are refreshing, they are sweet, they taste good.

I never would have thought of mixing them but thank goodness Pinterest exists because now I have mixed them and they were delightful.  I frequently (and did in this case) double the non-alcoholic portion of drinks, leaving the alcohol the same which worked well to fill the glasses and also balance the alcohol better.  We did consume these in early May, with tacos, and they were a perfect blend of sweet (sugar) and tangy (lime).  Considering how often we have sweet tea in our fridge (pretty much always May - September), I will probably make these again.

One year ago: Blackberry Margarita
Two years ago:
Basic Margarita
Three years ago: Strawberry Lemonade Beer

Four years ago: Strawberry Coconut Smoothie & Beer Margarita
Five years ago: Blackberry Sun Tea & Sex on a Beach

Note: my friendly reminder that 1oz = 2TB, how I almost always measure these drinks!


Sweet Tea Margarita
yield: 1 drink
Ingredients
-4oz (¼ cup) sweet tea (my favorite recipes here and here)
-4oz (¼ cup) sweet & sour mix
-1½ oz tequila
-½ oz triple sec
-ice
-optional: salt & lime slices for the rim

Directions

1) Optional: cut a lime into slices, run one around the rim of your glass.  Dip in a plate of salt to coat.
2) Add ice to glasses.  Add sweet tea, sweet & sour mix, tequila, and triple sec.  Stir to combine!  Enjoy!



Source: modified from The Shabby Creek Cottage

____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week (or every other week) and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page

No comments: