Wednesday, April 8, 2020

{9} Things Saving My Quarantine Life

We are on week 4 of quarantine, as I suspect many other people are.  You could also tell me it's just been two weeks and I would believe that.  Life is a weird and a blur BUT things are looking up.

We've had a streak of nice days - 60°s - 70° which enables us to be outside a lot, even if it's mostly just our backyard.  I've also gotten in a few runs which is PAINFUL after taking 6 months off (this and I had a stress fracture that needed to heal) but so nice for some real quiet time and enjoying the fresh air.  After two full weeks of homeschooling in the beginning, Luke's down to just 3 days a week the rest of the school year, with Good Friday and Easter Monday off giving us two 2 day weeks in a row.  Plus, Easter is this weekend which means our Lenten sacrifices will be done and Matt & I can (occasionally & responsibly) consume alcohol again.  Maybe not a great Lent to give it up (among other things).

As weird as life is right now, we've also gotten used to this quarantine life.  Life is easier than it was in those first days, filled with confusion and anxiety.  It's not life as it was last spring but we're finding our footing.  Here are things that are saving my quarantine life:
 
1) Podcasts
It's a little harder to find time to listen to these but can get through a few when working out, putting on make-up, and updating photobooks.  It's nice to hear from people outside the ones I live with or the people I talk to on the phone, even if it's a one-sided conversation.  And it's a piece of pre-quarantine life that's nice to still have.

2) A healthy supply of chocolate
One thing we will not run out of is chocolate and sweets.  I had gotten quite a bit for Christmas I still haven't worked through, as well as having things like cupcakes, ice cream bars, and homemade ice cream in the freezer.  And plenty of flour, butter, sugars, and eggs for baking.  We may run out of milk but we will not run out of sweets.

3) Runs
We've had a streak of good weather lately which means I am running again.  It's not far (haven't even hit 3 miles yet) and I'm not down to last year's pace (but every run is a little faster!) but it's a start and it's so nice to leave our property and have some time to myself.

4) E-Books from the Library
I did a lot of stocking up right before our library system closed and haven't even finished all those books yet but I've still read a few e-books through the library (with the Libby app) and it's so nice to know I have the prospect of getting new books, even with the library closed for over a month.  I much prefer physical books but it is so nice to have some more book options.  And I do love where it says how much longer it should take to finish the book.  That's super helpful.


5) These Warmer Days
It's going to get cold again soon but I have LOVED this week-ish of temps in the 60s.  I'm writing this in short sleeved, bare footed (since I just painted my toenails!), with most of the windows open downstairs.  It's WONDERFUL.  We even slept with a window open last night!  It's just the best.

6) Kids Melatonin
I've had trouble sleeping for a few years and spent about 6 months taking a nightly 5mg melatonin supplement every night.  Then I read that was a bad idea and cut myself off, saving them only for when I've had a streak of bad nights and really needed sleep.  Well the anxiety and stress that came back with Corona had me needing more melatonin but this time I tried these 1mg kids' version that I had gotten just to help Luke through transitions - like time change and getting back on a school bedtime at the end of summer (will we ever need that again?).  The 5mg pills always made getting up in the morning feel like the biggest obstacle but taking 1-2mg of these kid pills help me sleep much better but without the dragging myself out of bed in the morning.  Plus, if I haven't taken one before bed but then find myself tossing and turning for a long time when I'm trying to fall asleep, I couldn't take 5mg 6 hours before I needed to get up but I can take 1-2mg then and actually sleep the rest of the night.

I'm not a doctor and I have consulted with zero concerning my own melatonin consumption (even though it's on my drug list and no doctors have ever brought up an issue with it) so do your own research and all that.  I just know nights of barely sleeping are NOT good and make me a miserable person.  Taking 1-2 of these 1mg pills help me sleep and feel like a sane person in the morning.  Plus they taste like children grape chewable tylenol which I took for headaches and fevers until I went to college because they were really good.

7) Spring Cleaning
These warm days have me wanting to clean out the house, both in reducing what we own (except that we can't donate anything right now) and doing some hardcore cleaning.  I've been tackling both in spurts - around homeschooling and reading and preparing food and all that.  I've cleaned out window sills now that we are opening them, wiping down inside all the kitchen cabinets, and reorganizing my home decor collection.  It feels good to do something and to have an even cleaner house!


I took this when doing my annual "take pictures around the whole house" in February.  I have since taken down the Christmas lights and the snowflakes.

8) Having a Front Porch
We always spend a lot of time on the porch about April - October but it's especially nice to have that extra space, now that three of us are home all. the. time.  When it's too wet to go outside we can still get a lot of fresh air out there.  I sit there to read when Luke does drawing videos on my computer during Sam's naps on the colder days.  We don't have a big house and any extra space to spread out is appreciated!  Especially since it can be fully shut off from the rest of the house AND the outside weather, as needed.

9) Pulling out Spring/Summer Clothes
I'm glad we live in a place with seasons for many reasons, one of which is that I get to largely switch out my wardrobe twice a year - spring & fall.  With this nice weather we've had (that is soon going away!) I've pulled out short sleeved shirts that I haven't worn in 5-6 months and it's like seeing old friends, except that I'm not seeing friends right now.  Just about the time I am getting tired of all my winter clothes I get to pull out new clothes and it's like getting a new closet for no money!  It's very exciting.


Those are a few things saving my quarantine life, on week 4.  I suspect most if not all of these things will be life saving throughout quarantine as well as just whenever normal life returns.  If you are feeling down from quarantine I'd encourage you to make your own list!  It's always helpful to find the good!

No comments: