Thursday, April 22, 2021

1st Quarter Progress on 21 in 2021

It is time for my quarterly check-in on how I am doing with my 21 in 2021 list.  I cannot overstate enough how motivating these posts are for me actually getting things done.  Knowing I will be checking in and checking my percentage really helps me actually get things done.  I've learned I need some strong accountability (even if nobody else cares nearly as much as I do) in order to tackle a lot of things.  Accountability and tracking are my main motivators (I love seeing those numbers climb as I run miles and read books).  

We had a pretty productive 1st quarter here but life has certainly gotten busier as it's warmed up and things are opening up.  It is good, I like coming out of our self-imposed winter hibernation but it also means less gets done on our projects!  I love that life and our weather has seasons.

Here we go!

Inside Home Things
1) Replace lights in the stairs (10%)
I've shopped for these but hadn't yet shown Matt my options or ordered any by the end of March.

2) Replace end table (5%)
I'm starting to think this one will never get done...maybe I should just buy one??  We have agreed on a design.

3) Figure out boys' bed situation & make it happen (20%)
Well, we've determined they are getting a bunk bed and that we are going to buy one (rather than have Matt make it).  We have it narrowed down to two.  We know where it will go in the boys' room but we haven't ordered anything or gotten Sam a mattress (or pillow) yet.


4) Replace pulls on nightstands (100%)
Done!  I ordered, waited 3 weeks to put them on and that took less than 10 minutes...

5) Replace dish drainer (100%)
Done!  It's not very deep but it is stainless steel AND sometimes we can use the space underneath for two tiered drying.

6) Travel map (50%)
I had bought one, gotten it printed, and determined how it will hang (on a bulletin board we already own) and where.  It is not yet hung (on the bulletin board OR the wall).  It's all a part of number 7...

7) Redo A gallery wall (5%)
I KNOW which wall I am redoing but haven't had a free weekend to pull down all the frames to spray paint white.  Our spring has been a bit busy somehow!

Yard Things
8) Plant hyacinths (0%)
This is a fall project.

9) Put in Sandbox (5%)
Well, Luke HAS been working on digging it a bit more; it's very soothing to him.  But I haven't done any more work.

10) Plant in garden beds (0%)
Not a first quarter activity!  Will be happening soon!

11) Put out rain barrel (0%)
As of the end of March it was still in the garage.  As of this writing it is OUT of the garage but not yet hooked up to any gutters. 

12) Finish compost moving (10%)
I've started putting all the leaves I've pulled out of flower beds into the old compost bin to keep them from blowing back across the yard, as when I was putting them in what might be the new compost bin in the old garden.  This project needs work.

13) Hang Christmas lights on the playhouse (0%)
4th quarter, for sure.

FUN-ISH
14) Replace our vehicle (100%)
DONE!  And it's been replated and Matt did the wiring for the hitch lights so we can legally pull something now! (Which he has done!).

15) Figure out a ponytail (0%)
I wear ponytails but haven't yet done what I intend...

16) Do something with the boys' art (10%)
I've decided I'm making photobooks.  At the end of March I had, a few weeks earlier, photoed all of Sam's art up to that point, in chronological order.  (I'm starting with the shorter book...).  But then he's done more and I haven't caught up AND I have nothing in a book yet.  But, progress.
 
On Going
17) GET RID OF THE THINGS (25%)
We have made progress on this.  I shipped two boxes to Terracycle, one of empty beauty things and one of old toothbrushes/empty toothpaste.  Matt did a big metal/electronics recycle run that netted us about $24 (that's actually a lot, we've had many runs that have gotten us less).  We've done a big donation run and a smaller one.  I've given at least 2 bags of paper to my BIL but have another I'm accumulating.  We gave a ton of milk jugs to my sister and now she's done needing those so they go right in the recycle bin.  There are still a lot of random things that need to get out of the house and Matt's current project is making more metal recycle but we have made progress.  I think we did pretty well for 1st quarter.

18) Go on 8 dates (25%)
We did two as of the end of March!  We have to get a bit creative in cold weather dates during a pandemic.  Usually pick-up coffee/tea at a local coffee place, have an activity (in February we went to Trader Joe's), and then pick-up lunch to eat at home once we've gotten Sam from wherever he was.  We've gone on so many pandemic dates now!

19) Finish 4 photobooks (2020, Sam, Luke, vacation) (45%)
I ordered 2020 back in February and have Sam's done but they haven't had the sale I'm waiting on yet to order it. 

20) Get food from local restaurant once a month (25%)

We've done this!  Mostly on dates but including coffee shops it was at least 5 times in 1st quarter!  And another 3 so far in April!

21) Add 12 recipes to Instant Pot rotation (25%)
I'm turning this more into try 12 new Instant Pot recipes because who knows what will stick as favorites but I did try 3 new ones, once a month!  I intend to write a post about my Instant Pot experience.

That is a 26.67% completion rate!  I don't know that I've EVER been ahead so I'm feeling pretty good.  Still a few more things I hope to tackle this month to stay on track!

No comments: