Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Reading Recap - April 2023

It's May! Which is like December in terms of the number of things going on but with better weather (mostly) and no gifts at the end of it.  I did not understand the chaos of May until I had a kid in school.  Then his second year of school (1st grade) was 2020 where May didn't really matter because that whole spring was chaos.  But then the last two years were back to chaos.  No matter how organized I am going into it...there are always many crazy days, some laying on the floor to avoid a full breakdown, and not enough sleep.  Never enough sleep.  There is SO MUCH to pack into May with last outings with my sisters without our big kids, extra things going on at school, maybe finally some good weather to actually be outside, getting back to a running schedule, and trying to be ready for summer (a different kind of chaos).

April felt like a very long month.  By the time we hit Easter, it was crazy to think that the boys' joint birthday party was only three weeks earlier.  A LOT happened from mid-March - mid-April (besides consistently good weather).  And now I'm sure May will FLY BY TOO.  I thought I would get more reading done in Chicago but ended up catching up at the end of the month and squeezing in a few more than I expected!

I'm very active on Goodreads here, somewhat active on Instagram here, and linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy on the 15th! 

Other book posts in the past month:


 

 And everything else I read!

Off the Map by Trish Doller
This was the first book I read in Chicago and it was a fun one.  I've enjoyed all of this loose trilogy but Float Plan remains my favorite.  But this one takes place largely in Ireland which was fun.  I had also been to some of those same places!  Maid of Honor and Best Man thrown together on a semi-road trip overseas.  The bride and groom are more forgiving for their late arrival than I would have been I believe.  (I also didn't get married in Ireland, fewer beautiful reasons to detour to here in Indiana).  Just fun.  Open door at times, fyi.  3.75 Stars

The Real Mrs. Tobias by Sally Koslow
The stories of a Grandmother, her daughter-in-law, and her granddaughter-in-law.  All sorta Mrs. Tobias although the younger two didn't change their last names on marriage.  The grandson gets himself in a bit of trouble and the way the women in his life (wife, mother, grandmother) react is all different and it impacts all their relationships.  Interesting but a bit slow.  3 Stars

Georgie, All Along by Kate Clayborn
This was our book club read for April.  I've read other Kate Clayborn in the past and liked them well enough.  This one about a woman who loses her job, I believe (I'm reading another book right now about a woman who lost her job...they might be blending together a bit) and moves back home to her parents' house only to find that they had a boarder taking care of the house while they (parents) were on a trip.  Things get uncomfortable and then there is romance.  I think I just found the writing a bit superfluous by the end, just get to the point.  Also, just a lot of going on and on about thoughts and feelings...I get it.  You're going through some stuff.  3 Stars

Bloomsbury Girls by Natalie Jenner
This, apparently, is the follow-up to The Jane Austen Society which I did not read although had heard of.  I didn't realize that that first book would matter quite as much as it seemed to.  In this case, one member of that society gets a nice bookstore job thanks to another member of the society.  Then the bookstore needs a little bit of saving.  Maybe it would have had a greater impact if I had read the first one?  I liked the setting of post World War II (I've read many books set there recently, is it the new "during World War II" setting?) London and how the war is still impacting everyone.  I believe it was in this book where it was noted that they were still under rationing for many things, including tea.  And the rationed amount was enough for 25 cups per week.  Per person.  That is A LOT of tea.  How much would people be drinking if it wasn't rationed??? 3 Stars

A Novel Proposal by Denise Hunter
I've read nearly all of her books and this was much like the others.  Chaste, vaguely Christian, romance about two attractive people who slowly fall in love, have a problem, and then find a resolution.  This one on the shores of South Carolina and a beach vacation does sound rather dreamy, even if I wouldn't want to be on one writing a book... 3 Stars

Start with Hello by Shannan Martin
Lovely book by a fellow Hoosier about settling into your surroundings and how important neighbors can be.  And the impact of being out and about and being seen, having connections with those that live close to us.  I really did appreciate her words and her insight about living in maybe a poorer area but how rich their relationships are.  There was a brief story about a bag or oranges that made me get a lump in my throat.  3.75 Stars

Speaking American: How Y'all, Youse, and You Guys Talk: A Visual Guide by Josh Katz
This was a quick read that had me saying multiple words aloud, trying to figure out how I say them (and the maps were nearly always accurate to how I say them vs how the majority in my part of Indiana say them).  Also, things like sneakers vs. tennis shoes and other comparisons.  Just interesting to see how different parts of our country speak the same English differently! 4 Stars

When Stars are Scattered by Victoria Jamieson and Omar Mohamed
Graphic novel based on Omar's childhood in a refuge camp in Africa.  He was there for about a decade, taking care of his younger brother, after being displaced from both parents when they had to flee their homeland in war.  His struggle to go to school while also needing to watch over his brother who had developmental difficulties.  So moving and inspiring.  I teared up more than once.  4.5 Stars

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
I accidentally read our December book club read in April because I forgot that *I* had picked it for book club.  Oops.  I put this on my list because it takes place in Maine and had heard a lot of people mention it.  More a collection of short stories, all connected to Olive Kitteridge, some more loosely than others. Well written and captivating.  Much more literary than I typically read but I did immediately put the follow-up on my TBR.  4 Stars

Good for You by Camille Pagan
This is more romance than her books usually are, although mostly closed door here, so that felt different than what I am used to from her.  But also dealt with death and recovering from an abusive childhood.  I liked the Lake Michigan setting and that Warren Dunes got a mention (we've been there a few times together).  Just kept waiting for the other shoe to drop...knew there had to be more drama coming so just needed it to arrive so the story could move on.  3.25 Stars

Let Them Be Kids: Adventure, Boredom, Innocence, and Other Gifts Children Need by Jessica Smartt
LOVED this parenting guide about letting kids be kids, have adventures, not overfilling their schedules.  But then also helping them maintain their innocence as long as possible.  Keeping their screen time regulated and safe.  Making sure they are learning about things from you and not their peers.  Just letting them be KIDS for the precious years that that is all they have to do.  It was fantastic.  4.75 Stars

On Air with Zoe Washington by Janae Marks
Middle grade follow-up book to From the Desk of Zoe Washington.  That book was about a 12ish year old girl exchanging letters with her incarcerated biological father and working to get him freed since he was imprisoned falsely.  This one about her continuing her relationship with him AND working to open a food truck together AND starting a podcast AND throwing a live even in 9 days.  I don't know many adults who get as much done as she seems to and she's 14 now.  Zoe here seems to have the same precociousness and the Front Desk kids that I would want to read about if I were their age but as a parent just sounds exhausting to deal with.  3.25 Stars 

Read with Luke or Sam
Runaway Ralph by Beverly Cleary
When I read this series with Luke a few years ago, this was my least favorite of the trilogy but I am enjoying it more this time around.  Ralph runs away from the hotel where he has spent his life and seeks out a summer camp which he thinks will just be full of PB sandwiches and kids dropping food all over.  Instead he gets a cat and a cage.  Sam feels like such a big kid doing chapter books and it's fun to have one to pull out, especially when our picture books get low or if I just don't have the energy to pick through that pile. 

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
My read aloud with Luke that took over a month.  We often split the chapters because they are so LONG.  A full chapter can take up to 30 minutes and we just don't have that kind of time right before bed!  But wonderful pictures in the illustrated versions and Luke just loves the story.  He's all in on Harry Potter right now, racking up the Lego sets with his eyes on another he wants to buy himself.  It's been so fun sharing this world with him! 4 Stars

What have YOU been reading lately?

No comments: