Sunday, March 25, 2012

Adoption in pop culture

"The baby you have is the baby you were destined to have.  It was meant to be.  That’s what all the adoption people tell you, anyway.  I like to think it’s true." - Grey's Anatomy
 
I like to think we're special, unique and all that but really, adoption is fairly common.  I know a good number of people who have done it.  It also seems to be prevalent in pop culture.  Two shows I current watch (Parenthood and Smash) have couples going through the adoption process.  On Grey's Anatomy Meridith and McDreamy recently adopted.  The OC (great show) had the main couple adopting (really just taking guardianship of) a teen.  I read the Anne of Green Gables books and watched the tv movies when I was younger.  Marissa and Matthew adopt Anne as a young teen as help around the house but they become very close.  Despicable Me features adoption although a very weird version of it.  My two favorite examples: Friends (best show ever) and Juno.

Season 10 of Friends very prominently featured Monica and Chandler's adoption journey and the show finale was them getting twins.  It won't let me embed but Chandler's speech chokes me up every time. 

When we started this process one of my sister's told me that all she knows about adoption she learned from Friends.  That's not quite how it's been for us.  I don't think any of our reference letters turned out like Joey's.  We very likely won't meet the birth mom months before (although, that would be nice).  However, the joy they have when they get the babies will probably be similar.  And we really wouldn't mind twins too (actually, we'd prefer it...)

I looked and looked and looked but couldn't find the clip from Juno that made me cry years before I knew we'd be headed down the same path.  It's at the end of the movie when Jennifer Garner's character (adoptive mom) goes to the hospital after the baby has been born.  She goes to the nursery and they ask her if she is ready to meet her son.  It sounds really simple but I cry.  I rewatched the movie right when we were starting the process and it make me cry even more.

I know there are probably more examples in tv shows and movies, even that I own, but that's all I got for now.

No comments: