Sunday, November 11, 2012

Things I like - November

How is is the middle of November already?  Kinda in denial about this.  Thanksgiving is next week!!!!
___________________________________________________
1.  Make the Bread, Buy the Butter
It's been my intent/goal for awhile to make more of our foods from scratch.   Generally saves money plus you don't get as many preservatives and chemical crap.  I read this book a couple weeks ago and it really inspired me.  Eventually I want to make our own bread.  Matt thinks this means I should make baguettes (no).  The author gets really into this whole DIY food thing - raising chickens, goats (for milk), bees...I draw the line at having animals and maybe before that.  But it did show how easy some things could be (DIY taco seasoning is the easiest thing ever) and she did a cost/effort comparison on most things.  It was very helpful.  It's on my Elfster Christmas list (see #5).

2. Friends
Friends has been my all time favorite tv show for a long time but I hadn't watched it in awhile.  My sisters and I had been planning a Friends trivia night for awhile so Matt and I had to do some studying.  That plus trivia night made me remember how awesome this show is.  My sisters and I can come up with a quote for almost everything.  Reason #5465 I love my sisters: I can just start with "remember that episode of Friends where..." and they usually know what I am talking about.

3.  These boots

I have been wanting to get some flat boots for awhile.  I looked but had a hard time finding ones that I like and fit right.  And I need some that zip up because my bum ankle can't bend the right way to get them on otherwise.  I picked out some on Target.com a few weeks ago but by the time I decided I liked them...they were sold out.  I found these at Kohls and I like them so far.  I am pretty excited to wear them. 


4. "San Francisco" by The Mowgli's


This was the free song of the week on iTunes a couple weeks ago.  I check those out every week, sometimes I download them, sometimes I don't.  Sometimes I do and then decide a few weeks later I don't like them.  This one I downloaded and it immediately went into high roatation on my current playlist.  I like it a lot.  It's a good song to sing along to in the car.

5. Elfster



Now, this is a pretty cool website.  My family has been doing our exchanges on there for a few years.  My sister sets it up.  We are all registered with it and it draws names.  You can tell it who can't have who (in our family we do you can't have anyone you live with) and keeps track of who has had who in the past so you don't get the same person every year.  You make wish lists that others can mark as purchased but you can't see what has been bought.  It's pretty nifty.  I'd highly recommend if you do those types of exchanges.  We do 2 exchanges on it - our immediate sister/brother-in-law exchange and then one with my Dad's whole side.  It works great. 

No comments: