Monday, October 29, 2012

UD, UC, marshmallows, Christmas, and adoption

If just a fraction of things that happened in the past week happened I would have a lot to write about.  It's been a busy 5ish days around here.  So take this as your warning: long post coming.

Monday and Tuesday were normal (except for the fact that I had to work Monday).  I took Wednesday and Thursday off to visit with some people in Ohio I hadn't seen in a while ("a while" not the same for everyone).  Worth noting: I think I had the best two days of the whole month for this.  It was sunny and high 70s/low 80s both days.  Absolutely perfect days to have off, especially in late October.

My first stop outside of Indiana was to see my Grandparents'.  I saw them multiple times over the summer with weddings but those are never good times to talk.  It had been way too long since I visited them on my own.  We played Triominos and ate cookies & ice cream.  Pretty typical visit to Grandma's.  =)

From there I headed to Dayton taking roads I had never heard of before (thank you, GPS).  I know how to get to Dayton from home and from Delphos but this took me a quicker way than I knew.  This was my first trip to Dayton in years.  More years than I care to admit.  And the times we drove through to go to Kings Island don't count.

Next stop was to visit Pam, my college roommate freshman & sophomore years.  We were randomly put together freshman year and we liked it enough to live together again. =)  We were in each other's weddings and is the person I have kept most in contact with since UD.  Seeing her was fantastic.  We left to drive further south to West Chester to meet up with Donna, who lived across the hall from us for 2 years.  Lots of my UD memories involve these girls. =)


Had a wonderful dinner and ice cream (from Graeter's, I had forgotten about that place but it was really good ice cream!).  Being around old friends was just so positive and happy and wonderful.  Definitely hope we can do these visits more often.  =)

I spent the night at Pam's (my first night away from Matt in 6+ years of marriage!) and hung around with her and her kids Thursday morning.  I headed out around lunch time to go to UD.  I hadn't been on campus in 3 1/2 years.  I never thought I would be so nostalgic going back.  There have been changes in the 7 years since I graduated but enough had stayed the same that memories came flooding back at every turn.  Many with Matt since he visited me so many times in the 3 years we dated long-distance.

It was good to be back.  Kinda felt like being home.  I had my first lunch at KU in years (they got rid of the frozen coke machine!  that's where I had my first frozen coke ever.  I have better memories of that frozen coke than I do of the first time I met Matt...).  Hung out there long enough to charge my dying phone, been a really really long time since I hung around there to waste time.  I walked up Stuart Hill, saw the office I worked in all 4 years  (and used the bathroom across the hall that I used almost daily.  yes, this is noteworthy), went to the bookstore, just wandered around, and it was awesome.  I'm so glad I had the time to do it.

chapel
where I worked all 4 years - best college job ever (I spent way more time doing homework and getting paid for it than I did any actual work).
Pretty tree on campus
My freshman year dorm - Stuart Hall,  I lived in the closest wing.  Ahhh...the walk up Stuart Hill.  Much more pleasant in the sun and with plenty of time. =)
My sophomore year dorm - Marycrest, we lived on the 7th floor on a wing you can't see in the picture.  This green space is much improved since I was there!
I lived off campus with my cousin senior year and wanted to see if I could still get from campus to her house.  I made it but with a few wrong turns.  I don't remember as much of driving around Dayton as I thought I did.  BUT with the GPS I still made it to 75 and headed south.

The last stop on my Ohio visit tour was to see Carter (Matt's nephew) at UC.  Since I was so close and had the time I couldn't not.  We went to this awesome park with a great view of Cincinnati.  Walked around my second college campus for the day although I was able to avoid 2 cafeteria meals. =)  It was a really nice visit.

awesome view of Cincinnati
sunset at UC
Jumping pictures are kinda our southwest Ohio family tradition (see Kings Island).  It didn't quite work...but then it never really does. 
And then I headed home.  It was a fantastic two days.  It was something I had been planning to do as soon as my unemployment started.  That ended up not happening but I am so glad the trip did.  I had a really rough week the week before and spending time with some of the wonderful people in my life was just what I needed.  Makes me realize how blessed I am. =)  I was really happy to see Matt when I got back home.  It was the longest we've been apart our entire marriage. 

This was the longest trip I've (we) had the Mazda for and it was so nice compared to my Taurus.  Mostly having cruise control.  Stretching to drive with my left gets really sore after awhile.  And I was super close to making it on 1 tank of gas (maybe could have but I wasn't risking it). 


Friday was a normal day although I was recovering from my lack of sleep on my trip.  Matt went to the family Halloween party and seemed to have a good time.

Saturday (just now getting to the weekend...) was a busy day.  Matt spent a good 8 hours winterizing 3 jet skis.  I tore out my morning glories, cleaned up the rest of the garden, and raked leaves.  Then started my Christmas baking.  There are 16 things on my baking list (full list on Pinterest) and I like to have everything done shortly after Thanksgiving.  I planned it all out, what I need to make each week.  I am in full-on Christmas prep mode. =)

Have 3 different kinds of cookie dough in the freezer already!

A few days ago Matt got tired of parking on the street and somehow rearranged the garage so we can now fit all 3 jet skis and both cars.  I was amazed, still am, that it all fit.  It's super tight, seems so quaint when we only had 2.


I realized after being in some newer houses in the past few weeks that our garage with 3 jet skis give us about as much space for cars as those newer garages.  

Now, Sunday (I have a lot to say this week).  I do my best to follow the "Sunday is a day of rest" and not do any work.  Food prep, dishes, etc. doesn't count.  Neither does baking because that's fun.  I don't know where all my motivation came from but I had lots of it and got all sorts of kitchen projects done on Sunday.

First, made taco seasoning (I used this recipe).  It took longer to pick out the spices at Target than it did to mix it all together.  I had been meaning to do it for awhile since it's seemed so simple.  I didn't do a real price comparison but I'm pretty sure this is cheaper. 


I also sorted M&M colors to make these, what I call turtle noses (as opposed to ones with kisses and red M&M's which I call reindeer noses). 


First Christmas treat completely done and in the freezer, not to be touched again until after Thanksgiving.

One thing I realllly wanted to make myself was marshmallows.  Now, I don't like marshmallows except in a few things as marshmallow fluff.  I don't roast them over the fire.  Matt likes them but had no input on me doing them.  I just wanted to see if I could. (I can!)


I used this recipe  And it was really pretty easy, just took a little time and got really sticky.  I don't have vanilla beans (just ordered some to make my own vanilla extract) but that was optional anyways.  Matt said they were good.  My brother-in-law texted to say they were good.  My little niece and nephew liked them.  Yay!  I think I will make more of these for roasting next summer.  It kinda felt like making magic. =) I got really excited when I looked at the mixer and it really looked like marshmallow fluff.

In between all my kitchen work and the Colts game (win!!) we went to Shannon & James' to walk along the "chocolate river" since we never did a Franke Park hike this year.   Not the easiest thing with the boot but I made it.  Went to the island which involved crossing no water.  I think that was the closed I've ever been to the river.  Ever.  



Also, it was really cold when we did this!!  My foot got pretty cold in the boot (just more motivation to get out of this soon).  HUGE difference from how hot my leg/foot got walking around UC in the 80˚s on Thursday. 

Now today...Denise and I made our annual trip to Darlington.  We both seem to have no problem finding stuff to buy.  I got some Christmas presents (finished our first Godson!) and some scrapbook stuff.  We also go visit my Dad at work when we do these trips since it's super close.  This year we finally had the bright idea to let him take us out to lunch.  Hahaha.  We are nice like that. =)  But it was a really nice time and put me in a really good mood.  I love my family. =)

Since then...worked on making reindeer noses, bought Christmas cards & Christmas stamps.  Getting addresses around.  I wasn't kidding when I said I was in full-on Christmas prep.  I don't care that it's only October...Halloween isn't a real holiday anyways. =)

In other news...we have begun the process of listing with Lutheran Social Services (LSS).  I had just looked up the number a couple weeks ago and then 30 minutes later got an e-mail from our Catholic Charities (CC) social worker recommending that everyone list with multiple agencies.  So we are working on that.  On my way out of town on Wednesday I went to CC to sign the release paperwork.  Once LSS gets that we will set-up a meeting so they know us and we know them.  Write another check and we will be included on their list too.  Don't have much else to say on that right now.

So.  That is the end of this super long blog post.  Been a busy week but good busy.  Feel like the blessings are just pouring down right now.  =) 

No comments: