Thursday, August 13, 2015

ICOTW: Peach Sorbet


There are many reasons it's wonderful to have sisters.  They made the best playmates growing up, we could share clothes, they have produced some pretty adorable kids, etc.  Last week I got a text from my sister that she had a bunch of extra peaches from her SIL and wondered if we wanted any.  Um...is answer ever no??  We picked up a box on the way to the lake where Luke and I (combined) had about 10 in 24 hours.  They were delicious and perfectly ripe.  The kind where the juice is running down your arm the whole time but you don't care because it's totally worth it.

The problem is, we couldn't eat a whole box before they went bad (and we certainly put forth a valiant effort).  You might be wondering where Matt was in this fresh peach eating business...he doesn't like them.  He only likes his peaches canned or rock hard, like nectarines.  I think that is crazy.

I don't have the equipment to can and I wouldn't have gotten too many cans anyways.  Luke and I spent a rather enjoyable hour in the kitchen pitting our peaches/eating peaches (pretty easy to guess which of us did what) and were left with a peach crisp (with this recipe) and a double batch of this peach sorbet.  I have fond memories of sharing jars of this when I was growing up.  I remember my Mom freezing it in canning jars which usually only amounted to about 2 spoonfuls each but they were always delicious.  This was easy and made good use of our peaches.


Peach Sorbet
yield: 8-10 servings
Ingredients
-1/2 cup water
-3 TB sugar
-4 cups of sliced peaches (I didn't peel them because I just get lazy sometimes, that's why it looks like pumpkin sorbet instead of peach.  Peel them if you want.)
-2 TB lemon juice
-3 TB liquor (I used some vodka and some peach schnapps)

Directions
1) Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.  Let cool.
2) Put the simple syrup (step 1), peaches, lemon juice, and liquor in a mixer and blend until smooth.  Freeze at least 2 hours.
3) Put chilled mixture into the base of an ice cream mixer and churn according to instructions (ours is about 30 minutes).  Serve immediately or freeze.

You can omit the liquor but you'll need to let sit about 15 minutes at room temperature before serving.

My Thoughts
I wish it didn't look like pumpkin and was more peachy but since Matt and I seem to be about the 1% of the internet that hates pumpkin flavored things, that probably doesn't bother most people.  And...I still wouldn't take the time to peel my peaches no matter how easy.  But the taste...it was a little icy from the water and I remember it being more smooth growing up.  And I think a little more sugar and a little less lemon juice could improve this a little.  BUT overall....it is delicious and I will happily eat it over the next ~2ish weeks it takes to consume my big container.   It was definitely easy to mix up and easy to eat.  Nothing wrong with that.

Source: Food For My Family

_____________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites!

No comments: