Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Blueberry Crisp

Of all the sweets I make, this probably wins "most frequent" over the course of the last year (followed by chocolate chip cookies).   When I want/need a quick, easy dessert, this one is immediately what I think of.  I made it countless times growing up, maybe, partially, to sneak tastes of the topping which might still be one reason why it gets made so often.  Also the fact that I froze A LOT of blueberries last year, like 50 pounds a lot.  So we've had plenty of blueberries and the rest of the ingredients are pantry staples which makes this so easy to pull together.  I like trying new recipes and tasting new things but when I'm short on time and need something sweet, it's probably always going to be this blueberry crisp.  The recipe card I still use (because I can never remember the oven temp) is one I wrote out around the age of 10.  It's been my favorite for a looong time.


Blueberry Crisp
yield: 16ish servings

Ingredients
3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
sprinkle of flour
~1 TB lemon juice

1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup oats (old fashioned, quick, doesn't matter)
1 tsp cinnamon (or a generous shake)
1/4 tsp salt (or a small shake)
1 stick melted butter

Directions
1) Preheat the oven to 375°.  Put the blueberries in the bottom of a 9x9 or 8x8 pan.  Add a sprinkle of flour over the top and lemon juice.
2) Melt the butter in a microwave safe dish.  While that is melting combine the brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.  Stir until combined.  Add the melted butter and stir until clumps form and butter and fully integrated.  Sprinkle topping over blueberries.  Bake 25-30 minutes, or until topping is slightly browned and blueberries are bubbling. 

Source: I have no idea...I've had it over 20 years. 

No comments: