Monday, August 10, 2015

Mixed Drink Monday: Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie


Matt had a lot of days off in July which was really awesome but also means our Friday smoothie hasn't happened much lately.  Plus we were out of yogurt and for some reason my mind goes blank about when it comes to making smoothies without yogurt.  Then I looked at the recipe for this one and saw it didn't need any...right after I made a half gallon worth.  So we added yogurt.  I know, such rebels.
Luke wanted me to take a picture of his cup.

Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothie
yield: two adult smoothies
Ingredients
-1 cup frozen strawberries
-1 frozen banana
-1 cup coconut milk
-1/4 cup yogurt
-1/4 cup oats
-generous squeeze of honey
-splash of vanilla extract

Direction
Put everything in the blender and blend until smooth.

My Thoughts
Luke loved this, as he does pretty much any smoothie we make.  He drank all of his (already half gone in the above picture) and then kept stealing mine as well.  Which was fine because I wasn't crazy about it.  I think I put in too many oats, about 1/2 cup as the original recipe said, which gave it too much of a grainy, oaty taste.  It was less than ideal. I reduced the amount in the above recipe and could try this again since we typically (yogurt aside) have all this on hand. 

Luke loved it regardless of my hesitations.

 Source: modified from AllRecipes.com

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: