Thursday, August 6, 2015

Super Simple Strawberry Popsicles

I made a sacrifice for the blog last night.  Luke and I had mixed up these popsicles on Tuesday morning and I had planned to force one on Matt last night so I could take a picture and get a review for this post.  Then it turned out to be a strange day for many reasons and got to be 8:30 and no popsicles had been eaten.  Something had to be done.  I ate a popsicle.  I know.  It was such a sacrifice, I can't believe I did it either.  I'm obviously very committed to this blogging thing.

Have you ever tried to make your hand look not weird while taking a picture holding a popsicle?  I have never given much thought to how I hold them until I started taking pictures.  Hands holding things just look different in pictures.  And my nails didn't purposely match the popsicle.  That was a coicidence.

Super Simple Strawberry Popsicles
yield: I filled all 14 of my available molds with some left over
Ingredients
-1 1/2 fresh strawberries, washed and hulled (or approximately 20 ounces of frozen berries)
-1 cup water
-1 cup sugar

Directions
1) In a small sauce pan make simple syrup.  Combine the water and sugar over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar disolves.  This only takes a few minutes.  Let cool.

2) Put the strawberries and simple syrup in a blender.  Blend until smooth.  Pour into molds.  Freeze until solid.

My Thoughts
I was thinking I hadn't made many "unhealthy" ice creams or popsicles this summer until I remembered the various alcohol ones I've done.  And nutella frozen yogurt.  Among others.  I obviously have a selective memory.  These are not the super healthy, all fruit and yogurt popsicles I give Luke most days.  Although I would definitely give him one of these too, just maybe more of a treat than "let me force fruit upon you while you think it is a treat but really it's all healthy" type of thing.

These were outstanding.  They taste exactly like the frozen strawberry bars you can buy in the store but probably better for you (just 3 ingredients) and much cheaper.  Thanks to strawberries on sale these cost me less than $2 for 14+.  Maybe my favorite frozen treat I've made this summer.  They were a perfect treat at the end of a long and weird day.  I'm glad I took the sacrifice to eat one instead of passing it off on Matt.

Source: The Shabby Creek Cottage

_____________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites!

No comments: