Thursday, October 29, 2015

DIY: Dry Shampoo

I don't like washing my hair.  Or really dealing with my hair in general.  I like the color and I guess it's handy that it's somewhat wavy because I can usually get away with spending about 2 minutes putting product in and it then it looks halfway decent for the day.  I do have to wash it daily though to get away with that.  But when I actually take the time to dry and straighten?  No way I'm washing it the day after I spent 45 minutes on it!  Unless it's Christmas or something, I'll go up to 5 days between washings when it's straight.  I think I can get away with that, although day #5 often happens to be a day we aren't leaving the house and I know my two-year old son doesn't care what my hair looks like. 

Enter dry shampoo.  I tried a store brand back after my first surgery when I bathing was a pain and I (as usual) didn't want to mess with my hair.  It wasn't friendly with my darker hair and I gave up after a use or two.  I was pretty excited to find this "recipe" for dry shampoo for darker hair.  And homemade and cheap.  I usually use this on days 3, 4, and 5 before finally giving up and washing it.  It's quick, easy, and helps my dirty hair look less so.


Dry Shampoo for Dark Hair
Ingredients

-cornstarch
-cocoa powder
-shaker (this one held popcorn salt)

Directions
Mix equal parts cornstarch and cocoa powder in a shaker bottle.  You can adjust the ratio for how dark/light your hair is.  (I've heard blondes can just use straight cornstarch or baby powder but I have no experience with that.)

I don't use my my normal part but make about 5 other parts in my hair and shake it in, let sit for a few minutes to absorb oil, and then brush or comb through.  Touch up with a straightener and done!  Not quite my 2 minute wavy hair routine but still quick enough for me.  Pretty much anything that saves me from wet hair or 45 minutes with the hair dryer and straightener works for me!

Source: Life at Cloverhill

No comments: