Friday, October 30, 2015

Things I Like - October

Some months I have real trouble finding 5 things I really like.  Then some months I do a lot of shopping and have a hard time narrowing it down.  This was definitely the later.

1) Merona Madeline Flats

If you've read all these "things I like" posts you may have picked up on a few things:
1) I wasn't kidding when I said most of my clothes is from Target or Old Navy.   AND
2) I might have a shoe buying problem. (exhibits: A, B, C, D, E, F, and G) (And I don't post about every pair I buy.) 

These, of course, are from Target.  I got them during a Labor Day sale and they instantly went into heavy rotation.  It's amazing the number of times I could find to wear them.  Maybe the best part is that they are super comfy, with enough cushion and no blisters!  I always expect to have a shoe breaking-in period and these didn't!  I wouldn't go hiking or stand all day in them, but for errands or work or church or whatever else, they are great. 

At the change of the season I tell myself I don't need anymore shirts and that I should just spend my allowance on things I don't have.  Then I make the mistake of looking at Target's new stuff online and always end up buying something.  This is why I've put myself in an allowance spending freeze until Black Friday sales.  I can't say I needed anymore fall/winter/spring shirts...but these were cute and on sale.  I really like the 3/4 length sleeves for the cooler, but not cold, days in early spring and fall.  I've worn these to work, errands, and playdates.  The length is great, they haven't shrunk or stretched, and I like the general fit.  These are a win win win.

3)  Carrie Underwood - Storyteller CD

I've seen Carrie in concern three times now (first predates the blog, 2nd, 3rd) so obviously I was going to get her new CD.  Although, thanks to the library and Freegal, I can just download it (legally) for free for now, until I eventually (probably) buy it.  Still country, still amazing vocals, still songs I'd want to sing along to in the car.  This has been on such heavy repeat since I got it that Luke has started to learn some of the words.  (Not cattywompus yet although I should teach him that because it would be adorable.) 

4) Harry Potter

Have you heard of it??  My sister got me reading them in college and I was immediately hooked.  That was shortly after the fifth book came out.  She let me take a few back to school with me and then I was desperate for the rest.  I bought #7 in Hawaii and Matt and I took turns reading one chapter a night out loud until he fell asleep early one night and I just kept reading.  That book remains one of the four I've seen him read in the last 10 years.  It is completely understandable how these got so many kids reading. 

Despite my earlier love for them, I hadn't touched my copies in 6 years and was way overdue for a reread.  I've gotten through the first 4 again and still find them hard to put down.  It's different reading them all, knowing how they will end, there are different things to pick up on and a lot of foreshadowing.  I hope to read these (slowly) to Luke when he's older.  Maybe then Matt will finally hear the whole series too.  If you are one of the few people who haven't read them you should.  They may have started off at kid's books but obviously adults love them too. 

5) Pretzel M&Ms


I mentioned back here that Halloween is one of the two times a year we buy candy and don't have to count it as allowance money.  I also mentioned that they Frankenstein had pretzel M&Ms which wouldn't last long.  And they didn't.  We went through four large bags in about two weeks.  I told myself it was Matt and I both eating them...but really that was mostly me.  I got really good at sneaking these while Luke was in the same room without him ever noticing.  That's a pretty big accomplishment.  They are chocolatey, crunchy, and salty.  The only way they could be better is if they were dark chocolate but this is one of the rare times I'm ok with milk chocolate.  We just opened our last bag last night and they will probably be gone by the end of tomorrow.  They are delicious.

No comments: