Thursday, March 17, 2016

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cobbler

I seem to have gotten into a routine of making certain treats at the same time, every year.  Of course Christmas cookies throughout November and December.  I always make Kool-Aid cookies in February and around Easter, blueberry crisp in the summer and apple crisp in the fall.  And this cobbler about this time of  year.  Matt gives up sweets for Lent (among other things) every single year and I never do which makes Lent the perfect time to make this since I like it and he doesn't.  He claims it's "too chocolatey" which I refuse to accept as a thing.  Really.  So, I make it and enjoy a whole pan to myself, over many days, by eating it solely when Luke is sleeping so I don't have to share.  He is thrilled to have Star Wars fruit snacks for finishing his plate and doesn't know what he's missing.  I intend to keep it that way.

This is the perfect blend of chocolate and fruit.  Some people like one of the other but combining them makes for an almost prefect dessert.  As with anything, the better quality chocolate the better the results.  This calls for so little that I've always had enough of the real good, real stuff  leftover from various birthday cakes and frosting, and I think that's part of the reason I like it so much.  Get some good chocolate for this.  It's worth it.   

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cobbler
yield: 10-12 servings (I usually half the recipe, since I am eating the whole thing, directions are for a full batch)
Ingredients
Filling:
24 oz frozen raspberries
3 ½ TB sugar
3 TB cornstarch
1 tsp lemon juice
1 TB vanilla extract

Topping:
1 cup flour
1/3 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
3 TB sugar
pinch of salt
8 TB unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
½ cup + 2 TB buttermilk
2 oz coarsely chopped chocolate

Directions
1) Preheat the oven to 425°.  Lightly spray or grease a 2 to 2.5 quart baking dish.  Combine all the filling ingredients in the dish, using a spatula to gently stir.  Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
2) In a medium bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt and stir to combine.  Add the cut butter and use a pastry blender to mix until well blended and the butter pieces are about the size of small peas.  Stir in the buttermilk and mix gently until a soft dough begins to form.  Add the chocolate pieces and stir, just until combined.
3) Once the fruit has finished cooking, top with the dough.  (I just plop it on.)  Return the dish to the oven, baking another 15-20 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and and biscuits are set and baked through (test with a knife).
4) Serve warm.  Refrigerate leftovers.


Source: slightly modified from Annie's Eats

No comments: