Thursday, June 16, 2016

Keeping Holy the Sabbath


“Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.  
                                                                                                     Exodus 20:8-11

Taking off a whole day a week might be easier said than done.  When I was working ~40 hours during the week we usually ended up doing some projects on Sundays just because our to-do list was always longer than what we had time for in the evenings and Saturdays.

I don't miss those days, for about 100 reasons.

I don't know if it's getting older to just having more time at home these days, but I am definitely pretty strict about the "no work on Sundays" thing.  It works wonders for my sanity to start the week with a quiet day of mostly rest or family time, a day to take a breather, read a book, and not worry about a to-do list.  

Of course we do some things: food prep, meal clean-up, laundry if a little boy is out of dry underwear...  But for the most part, there are few "to-dos".   My only recurring tasks are reminding Matt to take the trash/recycle bins to the curb (pick-up Monday morning) and to fill out Swipes with my weekly to-dos, something that takes less than a minute.  Not too bad.

I've found that it's a lot easier for me to sit still on Sundays if we have a really productive Saturday.  Knowing we put in some hard work around the house on the projects du jour makes me feel infinitly better about that day of rest, apparently just knowing God said so isn't enough for me. (Typical, I need to prove it to myself too...maybe I have trust issues?).  Regardless, it helps us work harder on Saturdays, knowing we'll get the day off on Sunday.  (note: I don't consider spray painting work...or sewing, and some baking...so sometimes those things do happen.  But because I want to.  Not because I need to.)  

We don't have a typical Sunday, especially this time of year with summer stuff and lake trips.  We switch between Saturday night Mass and Sunday mornings, almost every week (it's nice to have all day Saturday to work on projects without worrying about getting cleaned up in time for Mass, but it's also nice to occasionally sleep in on Sundays and be really lazy without worrying about getting out the door in time for Mass.  So we switch it up a lot.)  Matt's parents do a Sunday brunch every week after Mass and Matt and Luke go every week we're home, almost always riding bikes this time of year.  I go about every other week (Mama needs her quiet quiet time sometimes) but summers are always a little different.  Sometimes my parents take us out to breakfast after Mass (just last week!).  

I sometimes run on Sundays but never workout first thing in the morning, like I do almost every other day.  That is a huge treat.  Most other days (when we are home) I workout within 20 minutes of getting up.  Then breakfast and shower.  But Sundays, I don't have to.  That might be the biggest Sunday treat for me!  I really look forward to those mornings.


We try to do family stuff on Sundays, if we aren't headed home from the lake (although family jet ski rides definitely count as "family stuff").  Bike rides, cooking out, playing the Wii together in the colder weather.  I seem to have more patience for Luke on Sundays when I'm not trying to get a lot done, when the only thing we have to do is "relax".  Something I should really remember for the busier days too.  

Generally, nothing I have to do it so important it can't be put off for a day.  It's really freeing and I don't know why it took me so many years to figure it out!  Of course God's way is the best.  He knew we need that day of rest, even if our way of resting now might be a little different than 2000+ years ago.  I start my weeks feeling more energizes to tackle all that I need to get done, motivation to work on our projects.  We get a whole day to devote to God and family, Luke loves the extra attention.  Exactly how we should start every week!

No comments: