Wednesday, June 15, 2016

ICOTW: {4} Ingredient Strawberry Honey Frozen Yogurt

Off setting my rather unhealthy ice cream sandwiches of last week (which I have already made a second time although I shared a lot more of the second batch) with something slightly healthier although maybe not quite as tasty but certainly better for you, this week. And this one is even easier than last week's pretty easy recipe AND strawberries are in season right now, although I realize this recipe calls for frozen berries.  You could certainly pick strawberries, wash, hull, and freeze them before using.  Or just use fresh and see what happens (probably just couldn't serve immediately and would need longer to actually freeze, obviously).  But I really like recipes, in general, that work with fresh or frozen fruit because it doesn't limit me as to when I can make them!  I would not like it if I could only eat berries in the summer and my basement that is almost out of berries (to be refilled over the next few months) would be a lot emptier most of the time.  Hey, I should defrost it while it's almost empty... 

I was pretty leery about this one because my last attempt (or an attempt) at making frozen yogurt didn't go so well.  That yogurt became a little too bitter when frozen and so I may have over compensated by adding extra honey this time.  That definitely helped and these had a very noticeable honey taste alongside the strawberries.  But I like honey a lot and so that was ok with me!



{4} Ingredient Strawberry Honey Frozen Yogurt
serves: 4-6
Ingredients
~4 cups frozen strawberries
-¼ cup honey
-6 oz cup of yogurt (or about ¾ cup)
-1 TB lemon juice

Directions
1) Blend all ingredients in a food processor until smooth, about 3-5 minutes.  Put into a freezer-safe container and store in freezer.

My Thoughts
I really enjoyed this.  It was really refreshing but didn't leave me with a sugar overload after eating.  Hard to beat healthy and refreshing on a hot summer day!  I wouldn't mind having some of this in the freezer constantly for the next 2 months!


Source: slightly modified from Just a Taste

_____________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites!

No comments: