Monday, July 4, 2016

Mixed Drink Money: Pina Colada Smoothie

Last spring and summer Luke and I were very good about doing smoothies on Friday.  Starting in April and through the summer, we made smoothies almost every single week.  Somehow that habit hasn't stuck.  I think partly because my motivation last summer was trying all these smoothie recipes I had pinned but now I've tried most of those.  Also, I'm now running every Friday morning which makes things a little busier.  But I didn't have a snack for Luke on a recent Friday and I figured it was about time we made a smoothie again.  I decided this on Thursday and we had already made our grocery trip for the week so we were limited to what was already in the freezer.  Which is ok because we may have too much in there and I'm trying to empty it out so I have room for more produce.  Mostly blueberries.  I freeze A LOT of blueberries.  None of which made this smoothie.  I may hoard them.  Which doesn't make sense considering how many I freeze.

In other news, this post has nothing to do with the 4th of July, other than it's posting on the 4th of July.  Although my cup is red and blue so 4th adjacent? I think so.  (And that is my pineapple candle from last Friday's post.  Good eyes and memory, dear reader!)


Pina Colada Smoothie
yield: 2 servings
Ingredients
-1 frozen banana
-1 cup frozen pineapple
-1 cup coconut milk
-½ cup pineapple juice

-ice if needed (I had frozen pineapple juice so I didn't use ice)

Directions
Put everything in the blender and blend until smooth.

Our Thoughts
Luke hadn't had a smoothie in a very long time, maybe last summer, so he was pretty excited for our treat and pressing the buttons (I learned very soon into this process to unplug the blender before taking off the lid, every time.  It would be very dangerous not to.)  He sucked down his smoothie pretty quick and even wanted to mooch some off of me.  It was pretty adorable.  I like it, I love pineapple.  I love coconut.  So mixing them is pretty much going to be a win for me.  It was more icy than smooth (which makes sense since pretty much everything was frozen) but that was fine, I was still cooling down from a run.  Overall, it was good and I would make again, especially since I still have more of everything!

Source: barely modified from Gather for Bread

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: