Monday, August 29, 2016

Mixed Drink Monday: Hawaiian Lava Flow


This is a drink I planned to make last summer but then ran out of weekends/energy.  It's a very summery drink but I drank it last fall around the fire.  Fire, lava, totally appropriate, right?  Even if it's a pineapple/coconut drink and the leaves were starting to turn colors outside.  Still, appropriate.


We didn't actually drink any of these in Hawaii.  Actually, we are generally too cheap to pay to drink in public (notice: pay, we are generally fine with free drinks such as at weddings) and so most of our public drinking in Hawaii was at our open bar luau on Maui.  But "open bar" pretty much meant unlimited mai tais (and weak ones at that).

What this all has to do with a drink I made recently, not much, I know.  Sometimes I think about how I am going to start these posts and sometimes I just sit down at my computer and start typing.  (#notaprofessionalblogger).

Hawaiian Lava Flow
yield: one drink
Ingredients
-2 oz rum (I used coconut)
-small handful of frozen strawberries (about 2.5 oz)
-2 oz pineapple juice
-2 oz cream of coconut
-handful of ice cubes

Directions
In a blender combine the rum and strawberries.  Blend until mostly smooth.  Pour into a glass.

Combine the pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and ice cubes in the empty blender.  Blend until smooth.  Pour into the glass with the strawberry puree.  It should slightly mix!

Enjoy!

My Thoughts
This was actually the third time I made these but the first time I got a half-decent pictures (attempt #1 was by the fire).  So these are obviously tasty.  Can't exactly vouch for the Hawaiian-ness of them but still rather good.  I've probably said it many times but the pineapple + coconut combo is one of my favorites for summer and probably one I share frequently here.  It's hard to beat!

Source: slightly modified from: The Chic Site

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: