Monday, September 12, 2016

Mixed Drink Monday: Island Mimosa

I think I found my happy spot of drinks.  Between this Island Mimosa and the Pineapple Coconut Spritzer I made earlier this summer...apparently that happy spot is pineapple + coconut + bubbly.  That's basically a perfect summer drink for me!

I made this one at the end of a very long day at home with Luke.  Matt went on a whirlwind of a trip (as in, gone about 28 hours and on the road for over 20 of those) to the DC area for a funeral and the day we had while he was gone was not good.  I made my drink after folding a load of laundry, snipping two large buckets of green beans, and unpacking the dishwasher, all while fighting with Luke to get him to eat his supper (it ended up taking him two hours despite multiple complaints he was starving).  I was grouchy, Luke was grouchy, it was a tough day.  Somehow, a little bit of a nice drink made forcing him to eat his supper (oh the horrors) a lot easier.  And the fact that he did eat it in the end.  Even if it took two hours.

This drink is so easy to mix up and is delicious to drink.  And it just looks pretty, which certainly isn't a requirement but it is a nice bonus.  If you are a fan of coconut, pineapple, and pretty bubbly drinks then I would definitely recommend this one!  And if you are worried about how to use up the rest of your sparkling wine...I have two more recipes coming up for that too.  This was a very good recipe for many reasons!


Island Mimosa
yield: one drink
Ingredients
6 ounces pineapple juice
½ cup sparkling wine or champagne
¼ cup coconut rum
splash of Grenadine
frozen pineapple chunks (optional but takes the place of ice!)

Directions
Pour the pineapple juice, wine, and coconut rum into a glass.  Add a splash of grenadine for color.  Finish with a few frozen pineapple chunks to keep it cool.  Enjoy!

 

source: slightly modified from Lone Stars and Stripes

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: