Monday, May 29, 2017

Mixed Drink Monday - Basic Margarita



It's that time of year again!  This is my FOURTH summer of making a new drink every week!  I am a little in shock.  After the first I was thinking "I'm never doing this again, it was a lot of work finding recipes and remembering to buy ingredients and making the drinks.  I just want to drink basic beers next summer.  It was tasty but enough of that."

And then the next summer rolled around and I was all "Yay!!  Let's make all the drinks!"

So while it does get a little exhausting by the end of the summer and I'm ready for a break, I'm always excited to start up again the next May (I started excitedly looking for recipes at the end of April.)  I feel the same way about running by the fall but then I'm itching to run again in the spring.  That's one of the wonderful things about seasons!


So I apologize if you are underage or pregnant or don't drink alcohol, because a lot of these are going to be booze based.  I probably do 75% of my drinking for the year during the summer and a lot of it is documented here.  Which I feel like always makes me look like a big drinker but really...it's most of the drinking I do.  Besides weddings (free drinks).  And Matt's work Christmas party (free drinks).  And our church beer garden (cheap drinks).  And holidays (family drinks).  But really, most of my drinking does happen in the summer.   But it's also when I'm the most active (running, being outside) so...it's probably best that way.

Starting things off this year with a basic margarita.  I've posted many flavored versions before (see them all here) but never a basic, plain margarita which is something I needed to correct, pronto.  So here we are, a simple and fantastic basic margarita to kick off summer.  May the weather be hot and your drink cold.  Cheers!

Notes: Adjust the ratios to make it stronger/weaker/sweeter as you prefer!  Or to make a bigger drink!  
One fluid ounce = 2TB, if you don't have an easy way to measure ounces (I don't, I use a tablespoon.)
To make simple syrup: Mix 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar in a sauce pan over med-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved.  Let cool and refrigerate.  Will keep for a very long time (I've never had any go bad on me but don't save it for 5 years or something.) 


Basic Margarita
yield: one drink
Ingredients
-kosher or rimming salt
-lime
-3oz tequila
-2.5oz lime juice (I use bottled)
-1oz simple syrup
-1oz  Triple Sec
-ice

Directions
Use a lime wedge to wet the edge of your glass and then rub in a plate of salt.

Mix the tequila, lime juice, simple syrup, and triple sec in a shaker or stir together in your cup.  Add ice.  Pour into glass if you used a shaker. Garnish with a lime wedge.

Enjoy!

Source: Modified from The Cookful

 __________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!  

No comments: