Wednesday, July 5, 2017

ICOTW: Coconut Lime Popsicles

I'd like to start this post by urging you to ignore the toothpaste color of these popsicles.  That's an experiment in food coloring gone wrong.  It has nothing to do with the taste of these but just the visual appeal.  Unless you like eating toothpaste but if that's the case...well I don't know what to tell you.  A LOOOONG time ago Matt got this Shamrock Shake from Burger King (I think) because it was around St. Patrick's Day and he likes to remember that he's (at least partially) Irish around then.  It was about this color and apparently did taste like toothpaste; most of it went in the trash.  I did not taste it.  These do NOT taste like toothpaste, just look like they were made with it.  Very important distinction.

Besides my usual favorite summer flavors of coconut and pineapple (I've made many many drink and ice cream recipes with those flavors), I've been on a bit of a lime kick lately.  Mainly I've been buying them to make margaritas  (like here and here) but they also are a good taste for summer.  And so coconut and lime mixed seemed like a good mix for summer.

First, if you have an aversion to the texture of coconut in popsicles you'll probably want to process that in the food processor for a bit to get a smoother popsicles.  As much as I might not care for the texture, I'm also not breaking out and cleaning the food processor just for that.  So I'll settle with a less than ideal texture (for me, and I like coconut!).  Otherwise, these are super easy to mix up and taste pretty summery!  Not a bad addition to our freezer full of ice cream (I went on a kick...I have the next two weeks' already made...).  Perfect for enjoying on these hot, sunny, lazy summer days.


Coconut Lime Popsicles
yield: depends on molds, I got 11
Ingredients
-16 ounces (2 cups) coconut milk
-juice and zest of one lime
-¼ cup shredded coconut
-generous squeeze of honey or sweetener of choice
-ONE drop of green food coloring (optional...I misread this and did 3, hence the toothpaste color)

Directions
Put all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.  Pour into molds and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.  


Source: modified from The Charming Detroiter

No comments: