Monday, August 28, 2017

Mixed Drink Monday: DIY Margarita Mix




You might see this post and think "you already posted a margarita post this summer".  And it's true.  I did.  And it was a delicious margarita that I greatly enjoyed.  But then I needed 1TB of margarita mix for Caribbean Margarita a few weeks ago and I didn't want to buy mix for 1 TABLESPOON.  So, Pinterest came to my aid, I found this, happened to have a bunch of limes on hand (because I bought them...) and made myself a batch of mix.

Then what do you do when you make a batch of margarita mix and it's just sitting in your fridge?  Well, you make margaritas.


I've gotten pretty ahead on my drink posts this summer (this will post in late August but I made them and am writing this in mid-July), thanks to a lot of doubling or tripling up, partially to not waste (why I made three different mimosa varieties over 3 days with the same bottle of wine), but also, just because I've gotten into such a routine of making new drinks that drinking anything else just feels weird at this point.  I mean, 4 summers and tons of drinks later, it's what I do.

I initially wasn't planning on posting this recipe since I had already posted a similar one but then...I made a second batch for another lake trip when I didn't really need to make a new drink but I wanted something to drink.  And then I figured if I liked it enough to make twice within a week or two, I should maybe post about it.  So here we are.

Here's what great about this recipe.  It's really easy.


You make a simple syrup on the stove.  Add lime juice (and I'm not going to tell if you use some of the bottled stuff, which I maybe had to do when my limes didn't give me as much juice as I needed).  Refrigerate.  Then pour a few things in a glass, add ice.  And done.  You have a margarita with very little work.  I made both this and the Caribbean one with this mix and both are wonderful and delicious and easy.  It's what I spent a whole weekend drinking (not ALL weekend, just that those are the only alcoholic beverages I consumed in those days, I also drank a ton of water and milk and normal things too.)

This might have a semi-permanent summer place in my fridge.  Yay for margaritas!


DIY Margarita Mix
yield: maybe 4-6 drinks?  
Ingredients
Margarita Mix
-10-12 limes
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 cup water

Directions
1) Juice the limes.  You'll need 1 cup of juice.  Set aside.
2) Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for a few minutes.  Stir occasionally.  All the sugar should be dissolved.  Remove from heat and set aside.
3) Once the simple syrup has cooled, stir in the lime juice and then pour into a glass container and refridgerate until read to use.

Margarita Drink
-1 shot of tequilia
-½ shot Triple Sec
-ice
~½ cup margarita mix (I've never measured)
-rimming salt (optional)


Directions
To make a margarita, salt the rim and then add the shot of tequilia and ½ shot Triple Sec.  Add ice.  Top glass with mix.  Enjoy!


Source: slightly modified from A Beautiful Mess

____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!   

No comments: