Thursday, March 15, 2018

March - Quick Lit

These are really going to be shorter than usual because, life exploded (in the best way) last week so, no time to blog!  Or little time to blog because, obviously, here I am blogging.  (I had a two day span where I read for a total of 6 minutes which is basically unheard of for me).  Books I've finished in the past month, linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy, I'm on Goodreads a lot here

Other book posts this month:
 http://happinessinthecrapiness.blogspot.com/2018/03/book-love-i-will-always-write-back.html


And everything else I finished!



We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter
World War II story about a Jewish family from Poland and how they are the "lucky ones".  It's strongly based on the author's family (her grandfather, his parents, and his siblings). While I've read many WWII books, they have largely taken place in London or Paris or America, I can't think of many I've read that have looked at the Jewish side, who were obviously very impacted by the war.  It was horrible but felt important to read.  To know their stories were getting told.  If you like World War II novels you might like this one.  I was really rooting for the family (and there is a note at the end about what happened to the real people behind the characters).  4 Stars
 

Something in Between by Melissa de la Cruz
A YA book about a teen who might get deported and then the boy she crushes on/dates (I can't say "falls in love with" because...they are teenagers and I just can't).  It's the longer form of The Sun is Also a Star but also, more teenage angst because it covers a longer period of time.  I've read a good amount of YA and this was far from my favorite because, again, the angst and teenage drama.  But good look at undocumented citizens.  2.75 Stars
 


The Gratitude Diaries: How a Year of Looking on the Bright Side Can Transform Your Life by Janice Kaplan
I've read plenty of books that could be classified as "self-help" (I call them "self-improvement") and this was a fantastic reminder of how something seemingly simple as being more grateful can improve your life.  She references studies and backs some of it up with science, while trying to improve different parts of her life through gratitude.  Great reminder to be grateful for what we have.  3.75 Stars



Staying Stylish: Cultivating a Confident Look, Style, and Attitude by Candace Cameron Bure
I grew up watching Full House (and have watched some of Fuller House, not all) and added this one to my list after hearing Candace on Jamie Ivey's podcast earlier this year (episode #176).  I found this a mostly practical guide to fashion, beauty, fitness, etc.  Didn't go too in depth on any of those but I was an enjoyable read (also, quick).  3.75 Stars

 


The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister
I liked this one way more than I expected!  A chef teaches a cooking class and each chapter goes into the story of a different student and the chef.  It was delightful and a perfect weekend read.  4 Stars 
 
 

Heating & Cooling: 52 Micro-Memoirs by Beth Ann Fennelly
Micro-memoirs is super correct, this was about 100 pages and could be read in an hour.  Which makes it a very satisfying read.  Liked some, not others, not a wasted hour!  3.25 Stars 

 

A Million Little Ways: Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live by Emily P. Freeman
Basically a Christian version of Big Magic (not that that one was anti-Christian, it wasn't, but it was secular, and one of my favorites of 2016).  Inspiring you to find and make your art, in whatever form it takes (you are reading some of mine right now!) 3.75 Stars 

 

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
One of my favorites from childhood and it still held up on the reread.  Two kids run away to (briefly) live at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC.  They get caught up in a mystery.  I love how they make their own routine at the museum and it's funny reading about prices and such from 50ish years ago.  Making NYC trip #4 later this year...maybe we'll finally visit the Met.  4.5 Stars 
 

The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser
Super charming middle-grade about a family of 5 kids who are trying to keep their family from being evicted from their Harlem brownstone.  I loved how the kids worked together, helped each other, but also had sibling squabbles.  4 Stars 
 


Come & Eat: A Celebration of Love and Grace Around the Everyday Table by Bri McKoy
I love food books, even though I rarely cook from them.  About the art of gathering people around your table for fellowship and how it doesn't have to be fancy or hard.  Inspiring.  3.5 Stars





Secrets over Sweet Tea by Denise Hildreth Jones
Ehhhhh...not my favorite of hers, I couldn't get invested in the characters and honestly, weeks later, I could barely tell you the plot.  I wanted more sweet tea and less secrets, I think.  2.5 Stars 

 

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
I feel like everyone has to know about this book by now.  Novel but feels very real and very relevant.  Teenage girl is witness to her friend being shot by a police officer.  Both kids are black, the officer is white.  Things escalate from there.  It was a very interesting and real look at the issue but also, not the best written book I've read but still, worth a read.  (Also, lots of language).  3.5 Stars

Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach
I was very interested in this book after reading other space books like The Martian and Good Morning, Midnight, and my Dad's interest in the space program meant we visited a lot of space museums when I was growing up.   Anyways, parts of it were really interesting and I liked that my alma mater got a few mentions BUT then there were quite a few chapters about using the bathroom in space, how they study what using the bathroom will be like in space, and the possibility of space sex.  It just got a little too graphic for me, even though I did finish it.  If you like this would depend on your interest in space travel and tolerance for reading about the ickier parts.  2.75 Stars

What have YOU been reading?  And would you volunteer to have your bathroom habits analyzed to help the space program?

No comments: