Wednesday, June 6, 2018

ICOTW: Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

 

Welcome back to another summer of ice cream!!!  Is there a better summer recipe trial to do than making a whole bunch of ice cream and then gleefully eating it all?  I think not.  Also, I don't eat it ALL.  I do share with my husband and son...and that's mostly it.  Every year I think I should have some kind of ice cream social but then I get lazy/selfish and think about how much that would stress me out even though, typically, my freezer has multiple kinds of homemade ice cream and/or popsicles at any given point June - September (although just TWO right now...we are still ramping up).

This recipe is a FANTASTIC recipe to start with because it's super easy.  So easy.  Which I basically define as little - no stove time required, just throw some things in the mixer and then the ice cream machine.  It's the perfect kind of recipe to start with if you have never made ice cream or even if you just haven't made any in a few months.  And the stove time that is required on this one is all on the strawberries, no making sure cream is at the right temp and no eggs that need tempered or any of that fussiness (although I have made some pretty fantastic ice cream that have required one or both of those). 

Speaking of ice cream machine, I've frequently mentioned how I've made all of mine on an inexpensive model we were gifted at our wedding, without having registered for one.  Which has obviously worked out fine because I've made A LOT of ice cream with it.  Well...I've known it was underpowered for awhile and this batch finally killed it.  Went outside to do some weeding while it was churning and came back inside to the machine turned on and plugged in (how I left it) but not actually churned (which it was when I walked outside).  And then it wouldn't turn on anymore.  Thank you Amazon Prime for making sure we didn't have to go too long without ice cream because I had my new machine on the doorsteps within 3 days.  RIP very used and beloved original ice cream machine.

I supposed I should talk more about the ice cream because nobody really cares that my machine (finally) died.  Besides being easy to make (a huge benefit), this one also is very tasty.  Thanks to the cream cheese, it DOES taste like cheesecake!  Which is great considering that is what it is called.   It's easy, it tastes delicious, and uses strawberries which is perfect for early summer!

Here's to a great summer filled with lots of ice cream!

One year ago: Basic (but not boring) Vanilla Ice Cream
Two years ago: Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches
Three years ago: Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles


Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
yield: about 1 quart
Ingredients
Strawberry Sauce
-2 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen, washed and hulled
-2 TB lemon juice
-¼ cup sugar

Cheesecake Ice Cream
-2 cups heavy cream
-1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
-1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
-¼ tsp salt
-1 TB vanilla

Crust
-about 6 sheets of graham crackers, crushed

Directions
1) In a small saucepan, cook the strawberries, lemons, and sugar together over high heat, until it comes to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes, until thickened.  Set aside to cool and then refrigerate until ready to use.

2) In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.  Add the cream cheese and continue beating until well combined.  Add the sweetened condensed milk, salt and vanilla, mix until smooth.

3) Pour into the base of your ice cream machine and churn according to manufacturer's instructions.

4) When the ice cream is finished churning, layer it in a freezer safe container with the strawberry sauce and crushed graham crackers, swirling to mix.  Freeze until hard, about 4-6 hours.  Enjoy!


Source: modified from Everyday Reading

 ___________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites!  

No comments: