Monday, June 4, 2018

Mixed Drink Monday: Blackberry Margarita



Here we go again!  When thinking about starting these, and my ice creams, again I always get a little stressed.  BUT it's so EASY just making rum & cokes or having a beer!  Then I panic a little about not having enough recipes for the summer.  Then I start looking for recipes and get really excited about the new ones I'm going to make.  Then once it's time to actually make them?  Exciting.  I like mixing up new drinks and trying new combinations.  Finding new favorites. 

So even though it initially stresses me out, I know I'm always going to be happy I took this project on.  Again.  For the fifth summer.  I've published 75 drink posts, some with double drinks.  That's a lot of recipes I've tried!

So, of course, this is FAR from the first margarita recipe I've shared.  I'm actually surprised I found a flavor I hadn't made yet!  I've done...

DIY Margarita Mix
Caribbean Margarita (a favorite)
Coconut Pineapple Margarita
Raspberry Margarita
Basic Margarita 
Fresh Peach Margarita
Strawberry Margarita
Frozen Strawberry Margarita
Pineapple Margarita
Strawberry Coconut Margarita (another favorite)

I actually had to go look and double check that I hadn't made a blackberry margarita yet.  You could argue that many of those could be turned into a blackberry margarita with just changing the fruit...but why not try a whole new method and recipe?  Also, blackberries were on sale at the grocery that week so get ready to see a few blackberry recipes here this month. 

This one took a little bit of prep work at home but then the actual drink was super easy to mix up.  It was fruity and delicious.  Maybe a little TOO easy to drink.  It was a fantastic way to start off another summer of fun drinks.  And enjoy fresh produce!  I miss that in the winter!

Note: my constant friendly reminder that 2TB = 1oz! 


Blackberry Margarita!
yield: 1 drink (with leftover components for more!)
Ingredients
For blackberry simple syrup
-¾ cup fresh blackberries (washed)
-¾ cup sugar
-1 cup water


For the drink
-1½ oz tequila
-½ oz triple sec
-2 TB blackberry simple syrup
-1 cup sweet and sour mix (I DIYed with this recipe)
-ice
-rimming salt
-lime (optional)
-blackberries for garnish (optional)

Directions
1) To make the blackberry simple syrup, combine the blackberries, sugar, and water in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
2) Smash blackberries with a potato masher and let the whole thing cool for at least 10 minutes.
3) Press through a sieve to remove the seeda.  Store sealed in the fridge until ready to use.

4) Run a lime slice (or wet paper towel in a pinch) around your glass and dip in a plate of rimming salt. 
5) To make the margarita combine the tequila, triple sec, 2 TB of blackberry simple syrup, sweet and sour mix, and ice in a shaker (or glass, in a pinch).  Stir (if in a glass) or shake and pour into your glass (if in a shaker).  Garnish as you wish.  Enjoy!


Source: modified from My Incredible Recipes
 
 ____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!   

No comments: