Wednesday, August 22, 2018

ICOTW: Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Ice Cream


In all the ice cream I've made, this is the first one that came out bad.  Which then might seem strange that I am posting about it but I am writing this because it came out delicious the second time I made it.  I followed the same recipe and somehow the first time was not good and the second time was.  Maybe past expiration dairy products are to blame the first time?  I have this tendency to buy ingredients to make ice cream, then get busy and when I finally get around to making them...maybe it's been a week or two (or more) since I bought them and maybe some of those dairy products can't last that long.

Or it could be something else.  I don't know.


Here's what I can tell you about my second attempt making this:

It tastes like cheesecake in a frozen form AND had chocolate chip cookies.

Bonus, if you make your chocolate chip cookies you will have leftovers and that is never a bad problem to have.

If you buy your chocolate chip cookies I'm sure you'll also have leftovers.

This is also a really easy ice cream recipe to make (which makes it even more baffling to me that I screwed it up the first time!) with no stove time and no chilling before churning.  Just throw some things in the blender, blend, and churn.  Boom.  Ice Cream.

So if you have an ice cream machine that doesn't get enough (or any) use, start with this.  It's fantastic.

Just make sure your dairy products are fresh.


One year ago: Dark Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream
Two years ago: Salty Caramel Ice Cream
Three years ago: Peach Sorbet
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Ice Cream
yield: about ½ quart
Ingredients
-1 8oz bar of cream cheese, room temp
-1 tsp lemon juice
-1 cup sour cream
-½ cup half and half or heavy cream
-2/3 cup sugar
-pinch of salt
-6 chocolate chip cookies, baked, cooled, and chopped to bite sized pieces

Directions
Combine all ingredients besides the cookies in a blender and blend until smooth.  Pour into the base of your ice cream maker and churn according to manufactuer's instructions. 

Layer the churned ice cream in a freezer-safe container with chopped cookies.  Freeze until solid.  Enjoy!!
 
Source: slightly modified from Everyday Reading
 __________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 

No comments: