Monday, August 20, 2018

Mixed Drink Monday: Mucho Gusto


This drink might be my favorite discovery this summer.  At least as far as drinks go.  At least in the top 5.  (I make a lot of drinks.)

I like pretty much all pineapple drinks, that is a given.  But this one also had some coconut flavor (another big plus for it) and some lime, which is quickly becoming a summer staple flavor, given all the margaritas I drink through the summer.

(Which, I mean, isn't A LOT.  Just a normal amount, I think?  I always find new flavors to try!)

This was also a lighter filling drink which was great.  Felt perfectly refreshing at the end of a hot day.

I liked this one so much after I made this glass that a couple weeks later, once I had made enough new drinks to finish out the summer, I made a pitcher-full, solely for myself to enjoy over a long weekend at the lake.  And it was also delightful.

Can we also talk about this rimming salt/sugar/coconut?  Because it is amazing.  I was leery, I really hate pulling out my food processor (mainly because I dislike cleaning it) but I did for this and it was worth it.  It takes a lot for me to say that.  I want to rim ALL my drinks with it and, maybe, have been known to take just tastes of the salt/sugar/coconut.  If you don't make the drink you should still make that and then use it on everything.  It's so good.  Doesn't stick real well to the glass but it also doesn't matter.

Note: Do not be discouraged by having to infuse tequila.  It takes about 2 minutes and then a few days of sitting on the counter.  You also do not have to infuse a whole bottle of tequila.  I did a pint canning jar which was almost enough for my initial single serving and then a half pitcher later.  So if you are doing a full pitcher, maybe do a quart canning jar and you'll be good.  

Also: 1 oz = 2 TB!

One year ago: Frozen Coconut Mojito
Two years ago:
Summertime in a Glass
Three years ago:
Blackberry Rum Fizz
Four years ago: Pineapple Mojitos & Coconut Peach Lemonade

 
Mucho Gusto
yield: 1-6 servings, depending on the quantity

Ingredients
For the pineapple infused tequila
-one bottle of tequila (but probably less, see note)
-one whole pineapple, cored and peeled


For the toasted coconut salt
-½ cup shredded coconut
-¼ cup sugar
-2 TB kosher salt

For the drink
Single serving
-toasted coconut salt
-ice
-1½ oz pineapple infused tequila
-1 oz coconut water
-1 oz lime juice (freshly squeezed is best but I won't tell if you used bottled)
-1 oz simple syrup

Pitcher
-toasted coconut salt
-ice
-2½ cup pineapple infused tequila
-1½ cups coconut water
-1½ cups lime juice
-1½ simple syrup

Directions
For pineapple infused tequila
Peel, core, and slice the pineapple.  Fill a jar with pineapple pieces and pour tequilia over the top to fill the jar.  Seal and keep on your counter for at least 4 days.  Strain out the pineapple and reseal the tequila.

For the toasted coconut salt
Combine the coconut and sugar in a medium skillet over medium - medium-low heat.  Cook, stirring often until it is a nice golden brown. Transfer to a plate to cool.  Once cool, put in the food processor with the kosher salt and pulse until finely ground, about a minute.  Seal and store at room temperature.

For the Mucho Gusto
Rim your glass with a lime wedge (or wet paper towel) and then dip in the toasted coconut salt.  Fill the glass about halfway with ice. 

In either a pitcher or your glass, whichever quantity you are making, combine the pineapple infused tequila, coconut water, lime juice, and simple syrup.  Stir well.

Enjoy!!


Source: Everyday Annie

____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page

No comments: