Thursday, May 2, 2019

{6} Projects Currently Taking Up Brain Space

We have a problem of getting into too many projects at once.   I have a lot of ideas of "small" projects and then I get motivated and want them all done RIGHT NOW.  Or we finally make a rather pricey trip to Lowes to buy the parts/things holding the projects up...and then I want them all finished RIGHT NOW.  That plus the nicer weather means we have A LOT of things in progress right now.  It's hard to find time to fit them in, the right weather, and cooperating boys.  Really, if we can get one or two small things tackled during the week I feel like we are doing pretty well.  Too bad we have about another dozen we could be working on too.  

1) Replace the porch ceiling fan
We finally bought one!  Sam thought the box made an excellent seat on the front porch!  I realize you can't see the old fan in this picture, there is a reason I always tried to crop it out when taking them!

2) Replace the blinds in my office
I've been working on "quieting" my office for months (I think there might be a post coming on that eventually) and part of that was replacing the old, somewhat broken, blinds (see it hanging below the window sill???  I know I could shorten it but the cords were also broken on the back too so there was no chance of ever getting to open it either).  Sam also thought those boxes made an excellent place to climb.

3) Gallery wall above Luke's bed
A couple years ago I hung a colorful gallery wall above Luke's bed.  Then adding a little brother to his room meant some furniture rearranging happened and now what was a nicely centered arrangement over his headboard is now only above about half his bed.  I want to finish it so it goes the full length of the bed but this project has a surprising number of steps!  (And how cool are those Star Wars canvases my sister-in-law painted for us??)

4) Reworking the rest of the wall art in the boys' room
Most of the rest of the nail holes in the boys' room came from things we hung shortly after Luke moved in 6 years ago.  With the aforementioned rearranging to add Sam, I decided what was on the walls needed some adjusting.  So almost everything came down (except the gallery over Luke's bed), and I'm still working on figuring out what is going where.  I've had stuff piled on their dresser for about 3 months and I'm really over that.

5) Moving landscaping
We used part of our tax refund (thank you, adoption and child tax credits!) to replace our very old central air conditioner.  We had it serviced a few times and got a few estimates and every single person who looked at it said something along the lines of "I've never seen one this old still working.".  Which is good, but also, it was due for replacement.  But in replacing it we also had it moved, which uprooted some landscaping.  We had long conversations about what to move where and, I think, have finally decided.  If the rain could settle down a bit I could get my hydrangea out of the garden before it dies and/or takes root there.  But I also need to move a couple other things before it can be moved.  It's a whole process.  Also, the house needs repainted and that is incredibly obvious in this picture (HELLO FADING).  (And I did paint the AC unit to match our house, years ago.)

6) Organizing under the kitchen sink
I started painting inside cabinets 5 years ago and after knocking out most of them in less than two  year, I stalled for a couple (3) years and am trying to finish up the last of the lower ones in the kitchen.  It's been long enough that some of the first, and heavily used, painted cabinets could probably use touch-ups or at least new contact paper.  I painted under the kitchen sink almost 2 months ago but haven't had luck finding what I have in mind to finish organizing underneath it.  And I've spent too much time on Google searching.  I'd really like to get this one wrapped up too! (Another blog post coming about this, if I ever finish!)  (And the picture is the VERY messy before, it, thankfully, looks better now even if it's not quite what I had in mind, yet.)

I also want a better system for organizing Luke's Legos and have quite a few tasks on this list I need to get to too!  We are NEVER out of projects but I think I would get really bored if we did reach the mythical end of the to-do list!  Maybe focusing on fewer at a time would be a good idea though.  I'd love to hear that I'm not the only one who tries to work on too many projects at once!

No comments: