Monday, July 22, 2019

Mixed Drink Monday: Hawaiian Hammer


I'm going to be pretty drawn to any drink that bills itself as "Hawaiian" even if that name really has nothing to do with the drink other than having tropical flavors.  Although, I did use Dole pineapple juice for this one and there is a Dole Pineapple Plantation on Oahu.  We visited it when we were there (this week, 12 years ago!) and were shocked to see pineapples for sale there, where they are literally grown, for a higher price than we can buy at the grocery store in Indiana, even not on sale!  I mean, it's Hawaii and things are usually a little more expensive BUT these are one of the few things that are not imported!  We could see them being grown, yet, somehow it's cheaper to ship them to Indiana and sell them here than to buy them right where they are sold.  I don't know that any of the pineapples I buy here are Dole, actually.  But I am always reminded of this when I see Dole and have a nice inside chuckle at our experience on Oahu

Another guarantee, I'm almost always going to up the juice in a drink to make them weaker.  Something about being mid-30s and having two kids who don't understand "we sleep in at the lake and we'd really like to sleep in every weekend, no matter where we are" and being terrified of having a hangover and really not wanting to parent with one.  So, more juice, less booze.  The same flavor without all the pain the next day.  And I did that again with this one.  Also, I didn't plan my drinks well and didn't have an easy way to transport the remainder of this opened can of pineapple juice home so the more of it I could use in this drink, the better.

This has fantastic tropical flavors, tastes beachy even if we were in Indiana, and wasn't strong, thanks to my adjustments. I could probably easily drink a pitcher full of my modified version over the course of a weekend.  Or with a few adjustments, make a virgin version for a brunch or something (that's assuming we ever host a brunch, which we don't).  Perfect for late summer when we're all trying to ignore the fact that school starting is closer than school letting out.

Note: 1 oz = 2 TB!

One year ago: Jamaican Rum Punch
Two years ago:
Caribbean Margarita
Three years ago: Peach Wine Slushies

Four years ago: Berry Blast
Five years ago: Pineapple Margarita & Orange-Strawberry Smoothie

Hawaiian Hammer
yield: 1 drink 
Ingredients
-2 oz coconut rum 
-1 oz Triple Sec

-1 oz plain rum
-1 dash grenadine syrup
-8 oz orange juice
-8 oz pineapple juice

Directions
Add all except grenadine to a glass and stir very well (or shake in a shaker).  Add a splash of grenadine and ice, as desired.  Enjoy!



____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page

No comments: