Wednesday, July 17, 2019

ICOTW: Chocolate Coconut Sorbet


I make a lot of coconut ice cream (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) and drinks (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) in the summer.  I went back to pull links for some and I didn't even realize how many there were.  So many.  Also a lot of pineapple drinks/popsicles/etc.  Basically, I am going to try it if it has either coconut or pineapple in the title.  Often both.  Pineapples also make good props (when on sale) and I've used those frequently.  I've often wished I had a real coconut to use as a photo prop but then 1) I don't know where I'd buy a coconut, and 2) I don't know what I'd do with it once it showed up in pictures.  So I've never had a prop coconut but I've thought about it many times.

I wanted to make this one, Chocolate Coconut Sorbet, as soon as I saw the recipe.  Dark chocolate is one of my top 3 favorite foods and, as previously established, I always enjoy coconut flavored things in the summer.  Plus, I've made enough sorbets to know they are pretty easy and was intrigued by a non-fruit sorbet.  So, I was going to make this.

It is super easy, the hardest part is chopping chocolate (I HATE seeing all the little shavings go to waste/melt all over the counter).  A little bit of stove time (need to melt that chocolate), refrigerating, and then churning.  The hands on time was very minimal and it only called for a handful of ingredients.  That is always a plus.

It is not as creamy as chocolate ice cream but that's to be expected when there is NO cream, whole milk, or cream cheese involved.  Which is what makes it a sorbet in the first place.  If you wanted something super creamy and rich, you'd be better off making chocolate ice cream (and I have two recipes for that!  Here and here).  This is a little lighter and certainly easier to make than most ice creams I've posted.  And I am still not going to have any problem (slowly) eating the whole tub.  (If only I could find the tub at the moment but we are defrosting our deep freezer which means our fridge-freezer is PACKED.)

One year ago: Strawberry Gelato
Two years ago: No-Churn Brownie Caramel Ice Cream
Three years ago: Delectable Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
Four years ago: Coconut Ice Cream


Chocolate Coconut Sorbet
yield: a little under a quart
Ingredients
-¾ cup + 2 tsp water
-160 g sugar
-pinch of salt
-184 g (6.4 oz) bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
-400mL (a standard can) unsweetened coconut milk
-½ tsp vanilla extract

Directions
1) Warm the water, sugar, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring nearly constantly, until the sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and add the chocolate pieces, whisking until the chocolate is completely melted.  Whisk in the coconut milk and vanilla. 
2) Refrigerate until cool, at least a couple of hours (or overnight).   Churn according to your machine's instructions, then place in a freezer safe container and freeze.  Enjoy!



Source: modified from A Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
__________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 

No comments: