Friday, October 1, 2021

Looking back at September

September felt like an appropriately timed months.  Not too long, not too short.  Labor Day weekend feels like QUITE awhile ago but not forever ago.  We've transitioned to warm afternoons but chilly evenings/nights/mornings (when I'm very glad I can change my outfit many times throughout the day to be comfortable in 30° swings).  I ran a lot, the last one being a 48° start after school drop-off (Sam had his winter coat and a blanket, that kid is the most patient running buddy).  We spent less time working on our yard because this time of year is kinda when we give up caring about it?  Still mowing and I did pull some weeds the other day but much less watering.  Still have some projects we'd like to tackle before it gets really cold and working on scheduling those out through October, pending weather.

It was just a good month, for the most part.  Certainly challenges (homework, never sleeping enough) and some weeks busier than others but mostly a good transition from the heat and laid back of summer to the cooler days of school!

Looking back:
1 year ago: Book Love: The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Harmel
2 years ago: {14} Picture Books About Space
3 years ago: Organizing Temporary Items
4 years ago: Linen Closet: Organized
5 years ago: Making Grown-Up Purchases (still have the rug, a lot of other things have changed in our room!)
6 years ago: Paper Dot Mobile (this is still hanging in our porch!)
7 years ago: Perfect Blueberry Muffins (Sam & I just made some of these a few weeks ago!)
8 years ago:
It's Actually Pretty Easy Being Green (I've been blogging about this topic for awhile!)
9 years ago:
Things I Really Like Right Now (my first of these! Done over 100 now!)
10 years ago: Camping in Friendship, Wine Tasting in Madison (the time we drove from Indiana TO ANOTHER PART OF INDIANA and somehow drove through 2 other states...we were following other people...)

1) Kicking off an extra long Labor Day weekend (Luke had Friday off school too) with a tiny bit of quiet before the boys were awake.
2) Now enjoying Labor Day weekend at some point when Matt got home!
3) Working on a new project where all of these frames (and more) have to fit in a too small area.  It's slow going.
4) Beautiful mornings running at the park!
5) Some leaves are starting to change!  Sam is always on the lookout for orange trees.
6) High school football game with the helicopter about to land.  It all felt very patriotic.
7) Observing 9/11 in my own way, wore my shirt, USA coozie, and made a playlist full of NYC and patriotic songs...that sounds like celebrating but 9/11 I was thinking about that day 20 years ago all day.  I had to mark the day somehow.
8) Sunrise before our mid-month race!  They moved it a week earlier, there are years I've started before the sun!
9) And then we went to the Farmers Market that afternoon!  It was so much fun!  Definitely spent more than intended, supporting small businesses.
10) Frozen coke Matt picked up for us, turns out running 6.2 miles and then biking 8.9 in one day will make me very tired.  I was about to crash, right before Mass, without this! (I slept 10 hours that night.)
11) Green beans my parents grew, picked, and delivered.  They are the best green beans (and parents).
12) Driving for my first field trip (first one they've had that I've had a vehicle big enough to haul extra kids!) and got on the rivers for the first time too.  Fun morning (but had me wearing my winter coat 4 days after we turned the AC on the night before our race.)
13) Backyard string lights, they are extra magical in the rain I think!
14) Cheersing at our first dinner out in town since...pre-pandemic!  (We are out once in Savannah and gotten ice cream a few times, plus lots of take out).  Met friends for supper and talked an hour later than we told the sitter we'd be home.  Oops.
15) More park running, that morning sunlight is magical.
16) The cutest stormtrooper, even if he was supposed to be napping.


Books finished: 14
Miles ran:
91.95, my first 90+ mile month in 4 years! (Now I MAJORLY slow down my running, I doubt I'll even run half that in October.)
Currently watching:
Matt & I finished Brooklyn Nine-Nine (great show), we're on the final season of Community via Netflix (even though we own the DVDs), we watched Monsters at Work on Disney+ with the boys.  Grey's just started last night and I'll be back to watching that.  Matt & I have no shows currently airing that we watch together!
Most read post this month:
Forever and always Stripping: Laundry Style, followed by Quick Lit - September and then Coconut Pineapple Sorbet
Luke's current favorite song:
"Shut up and Dance" by Walk the Moon or "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Sam's current favorite song:
"Fun Fun Fun" by the Beach Boys

October brings Matt's birthday, Halloween, fall break, fall foliage, and the real start of my Christmas prep (even though I started shopping in July.).  October is a lovely month!

No comments: