Wednesday, July 25, 2018

ICOTW: Coconut Pineapple Sorbet






Part of my motivation to keep running is because we eat a lot of ice cream in the summer.  You see how much I post here, we have to eat all of that.  And then there are the favorite flavors that I remake from old posts.  At this moment we have four kinds of ice cream in the freezer and two more kinds of popsicles. 

There is no shortage of ice cream and/or frozen treats at our house this time of year.

Last year I also ran so I didn't die when I had to do the half-marathon I had paid $50 to torture myself with and also to always run more miles than the month before.  This year, it's some of the few completely child-free time I get, even if it's a heat index of 99° (I didn't say I was smart.)(Also, that was only 2 miles but I still was VERY overheated by the end.)

And really, of all the problems to have, having A LOT of ice cream in your freezer isn't a bad one.  AT ALL. 

This sorbet was a delightful lighter option to the heavier cream/whole milk based ones I make a lot of.  It's just a few ingredients and has my key summer flavors of pineapple and coconut.  It's a fantastic option for when you need something cool but not something heavy.  OR if you just really like pineapple and coconut (like me) and want to pretend you are somewhere tropical even if you are just sitting in the backyard watching a kid play by the (inflatable) pool or on the couch watching American Ninja Warrior (the best thing on tv in the summer, right?).


One year ago: Blackberry Sweet Cream Ice Cream
Two years ago: Delectable Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
Three years ago: Fruit Coconut Pops

 


Coconut Pineapple Sorbet
yield: about 1 quart
Ingredients:
-3 cups frozen pineapple chunks
-1 can full-fat coconut milk
~1 TB sweetener (we used honey)

Directions:
1) Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
2) Churn according to the directions for your ice cream maker.
3) Freeze in an air tight container until solid.  Enjoy!



Source: Slightly modified from Beaming Baker

__________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 

No comments: