Tuesday, August 11, 2015

A-mazing chocolate frosting



There are a few things that make this frosting absolutely amazing.  Those things include cream cheese, real butter, sour cream, and two kinds of real chocolate.  This is the kind of thing that I never regret eating, despite the calories.  The kind of thing I hide from my kid to sneak bites of when I need a little mid-morning pick me up.  Something I'll eat straight from the knife, so shame.  Or from my finger.  Yep.  No shame.  It's amazing.  I've used it on my birthday cupcakes the last two years and every time I have it I fall more in love.  It's pretty easy to whip up and this recipe makes plenty for two dozen cupcakes.  With some leftover if you frost right.  And you definitely want some left over.

A-Mazing Chocolate Frosting
yield: frosting for approx. 2 dozen cupcakes
Ingredients
9.5 oz bittersweet chocolate*, roughly chopped
6 oz cream cheese, at room temp
6TB butter, at room temp
2 cups powdered sugar
4TB Dutch process cocoa powder*
pinch of salt
2/3 cup plus 1 TB sour cream

Directions
1) Melt all the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water.  Set aside to cool until just barely warm.
2) In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.  Slowly mix in the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.  Beat in the cooled chocolate and the sour cream.  Continue beating until smooth and well blended.  Frost cupcakes immediately, before the frosting sets. 

*I buy both of these at a local baking shop (this one).  Definitely go for the real stuff if you can find it.  It makes the frosting.


Source: Annie's Eats

No comments: